Chapter 4

After we left camp Erskine led me off to a building I hadn't notice before. We walked in and he led me to a back room. I looked around trying to calm my nerves.

"You have nothing to worry about. He'll like you I'm positive." Dr. Erskine told me.

"Who is he exactly?" I asked crossing my arms over my chest.

"Oh. I forgot to tell you. You'll be my co-worker. His name is Howard Stark." He explained.

I stopped walking and stared at his back. "Howard Stark? Like the genius Howard Stark?"

He chuckled nodding. " I presume you heard of him?"

"He's like really famous. And amazingly smart. People keep comparing me to him." I explained catching up to him.

"Good you'll get along then. Stark likes challenges." He retorted.

I smiled slightly.

We continued walking in silence until we came upon a metal door. Erskine opened the door and walked in before I did.

"Howard I brought a surprise for you." He announced.

The man presumably Howard turned around to look at us.

"Ah! Doc! How are ya?" He paused looking at me. "And who is this?"

"This is Jace. Jace Alexander Day." Erskine introduced.

I smiled and held out my hand for him to shake. His hands were rough and god damn had oil everywhere.

"Nice to meet you lad." Howard spoke with smirk on his lips.

I nodded in return and looked around. The room had heaps of metal laying around and there where piles upon piles of scrap paper. I hummed and walked over to a pile of scrap paper.

"Ya know I'd figure you'd be a little neater than this Stark."  I spoke finally.

"Yeah normally I am." He muttered rubbing the back of his head.

"So what brings you here boy?" Stark asked.

"Abraham wants me to help you two make this "Super Solder". " I replied making air quotes around super soldier.

"And how do you think you're going to do that?"

"I am a nurse. I also have a degree in mechanical engineering."

Stark's eyes widened as he stared at me like I was some imaginary thing.

"YOU WHAT?!" He yelled.

I chuckled "Yep. Plus I'm like seventeen."

Silence followed my statement and I looked between Howard and Dr.Erskine slightly confused and very embarrassed. Maybe I shouldn't have said that.

"You're seventeen? That's illegal you know." Howard spoke after processing what I said.

"Yea to be an active duty soldier. I'm not a soldier, I'm a nurse. And honestly we could use more nurses." I explained crossing my arms over my chest.

Howard looked at me then Erskine and then at me again.

"Well your just full of surprises aren't you?"

"I'd like to think so yes." I replied smiling.