Part One-Ashlin

3198 A.Y.

   Everything stopped when the ballroom doors were thrown open. The musicians fell silent, dancers froze in their steps, and conversation ceased entirely. Everyone was staring at the entrance stairway where Ashlin of Azure descended.

   When she reached the main floor of the ballroom, several men approached her, asking her to dance with them. She did not respond. All she could focus on was the prince.

   The Crown Prince of Viridian leaned forward in his throne, his dark eyebrows raised. He was a handsome man, with tan skin, short almost black hair, and dark eyes to match. As such, he was accustomed to beautiful women. It was not her beauty which interested him. He stared at her pale blue dress. Not many women would dare wear a gown that was the color of the empire's greatest enemy. 

   A collective gasp echoed through the room when the prince stood, his green cloak fluttering as its hem hit the floor. The ball had started hours ago, and despite the attempts to persuade him otherwise, the prince had remained on his throne. Now, though, he abandoned his seat and crossed the ballroom. The crowd parted, stepping back to give him a clear path to the newcomer.

"I believe this poor woman has had enough," he called out, his face spreading into a lazy smile. "There are plenty of other lovely maidens. I see no need to harass this one."

   Ashlin blushed. The prince had called her beautiful.

   Grudgingly, the suitors returned to their disgruntled partners, but the dancing did not resume. Everything remained still and silent, the people of Viridian anxious to see whether the prince would attempt to claim the woman for himself. Ashlin smiled timidly at the prince.

With a curtsy, Ashlin said, "It is a pleasure to meet you, your highness."

"Please, call me Prince Emlen." Kissing her hand, he said, "I apologize for the behavior of my people. You would think they were a pack of wolves rather than the finest gentleman in Viridian, possibly the world."

"Thank you, Prince Emlen," Ashlin told him earnestly. The prince let go of her hand, his eyes combing over her small figure.

"Would you care to dance, my lady?" he asked. Ashlin's cheeks heated once more.

"Yes, thank you." He took her hand again and led her to the center of the room. The music resumed at once; the prince could not very well dance to silence.

"So?" the prince asked, his hands sliding to her waist, "what is your name?"

"Oh--my name?"

   Ashlin racked her brain for something to tell him. He was not supposed to know who she was. He was not even supposed to have noticed her! All she wanted was a night of fun, a night to be exactly the woman her mother wanted her to be. Telling him her name might turn her dream fulfillment into a nightmare. If she told him her name and he mentioned it to others, her stepfamily might find out. Then she would be in deep, deep trouble.

   She gave him a small smile. "I am sorry, your highness, but I cannot tell you."

   The prince's eyes glinted. "Ah, a beautiful girl with an air of mystery about her. Quite charming."

"Um, tha—"

"Please do not say thank you," Prince Emlen said with a grin. "I am only telling the truth; You are stunning."

"Thank—oh, sorry," Ashlin said, ducking her head. She felt like such a fool. Her stepmother Edris was right; she was no proper lady.

"Please, tell me milady, are you truly from Azure? I cannot believe one of you would have any desire to visit my engagement ball."