Prologue: Fairy Godmother-Ashen

She was beautiful.

     Light red hair that previously fell in wild untamed waves had been pulled into an elegant twist. The blood that once flecked her body was gone, revealing the pale smooth skin beneath. Her black clothes had been replaced with a sapphire gown and pale glass slippers.

     "Ashen Crest, you shall make even the princesses at the ball jealous," the fairy godmother said. There was a slight hitch in her voice, as though she was trying not to cry.

      "I couldn't have done this without you," the red haired girl replied with a smile. "If it weren't for you, I wouldn't have had this chance."

     "Well, we shouldn't dwell too long," her fairy godmother chided. "The magic that has changed your appearance shall only last until midnight, and there are a few things we still need to take care of."

Ashen's smile broadened. "What do you need?"

"First, I need you to fetch a pumpkin from the garden."

Ashen frowned, then shrugged and said, "If you say so." She hurried off to get the other item her godmother had requested.

     It was then the fairy finally allowed her mask to slip. The once kind smile morphed into a sneer as Ashen disappeared around the corner.. The foolish girl had fallen into her clutches so easily. If things continued going so smoothly, the the threat of the prince would be eliminated just as she had planned. All she needed was for the prince to fall for Ashen, and she already knew that he would. The mirror had told her so, and the mirror was never wrong.

     She was going to be the strongest fairy, and she would take out anyone that stood in her way.

     A twig snapped behind her. The fairy whirled around, only to have a sword plunged into her gut. She gasped, groping at her front. Her eyes widened. The blade was made of glass. Before she could pull away, another blade pierced her chest. The fairy cried out in pain. This one was iron.

     Ashen sneered, her own mask falling away.

      "I meant what I said," she whispered. "I couldn't have done it without you."

     "What are you doing?" the fairy asked.

     "My mother warned me about you," Ashen snarled. "She warned me never to accept your help, but I knew I couldn't get to the palace without you. Thank you for that."

     She twisted the iron blade. The fairy fell to her knees. She had her finally thought.

     The mirror had lied.