Chapter 2

My last class of the day was a voice class. Technically I was majoring in dance, but I took the voice class to keep myself in pitch.

In the few moments left of class I saw a boy with bright green eyes and messy brown hair that was spiked up naturally. He scans the room until he sees me then his eyes grew wider and slightly nodded his head urging me to walk towards the door. I gave him an “I’m in class!” look and pretended to ignore his exaggerated eye roll. Let those eyes roll out of his head, but if I even slipped out for a moment while one of Mrs. Carmine’s pupils was preforming she would have a fit and she will definitely quit the Kendall Fan Club.

Finally Lizzy finished singing “Defying Gravity”, after missing the last note for the third time this month. Her register can’t go that high, yet she still insisted she could sing it. We all politely clapped, but we can see the disappointed look on her face.

“I’ll get it next time Mrs. Carmine, I promise!” she exclaimed. If she didn’t say it with a crazed look in her eye I probably would’ve felt sorry for her, but now she was just following a lost dream.

“Don’t bother! You’re about to ruin Wicked for me Miss Hollant, and I didn’t even think that was possible. Class dismissed! And remember to practice your solos! Mister Johnson, Miss Flint, Miss Delmario, and Miss Vertes, your on deck for next class!”

Everyone ran straight to their bags, all chatting to each other about their plans that night, except for me, who galloped over to the front door where the green eyed boy was still waiting.

“James what the heck! You knew I’d get in trouble! What do you want anyways?”

“Well good afternoon to you too Vertes! I hope your having a splendid day!” he proclaims very sarcastically with an eye roll from me following it. He continues, “A bunch of us are going to a coffee house a block or two away from here and I was wondering if you wanted to come, but I see your to busy sticking your nose up Mrs. Carmines butt.” I smacked him on the shoulder after that comment but he just flashed me a boyish grin.

“You know why I’m being extra nice to Mrs. Carmine! I just don’t want her to do a 180 on me. This is kind of a big deal, in case you forgot.”

James threw his hands in the air as an act of surrender. “Your right, your right! But are you coming or not?”

“Wouldn’t miss it for the world!” I said over-dramatically. “Let me just grab my stuff. Wait here.”

He suddenly stood extra stiff and saluted me as I walked towards my bag. When I got to the corner I put on my pink jacket and checked my phone. One selfie of Chloe and Clara on a beach in Puerto Rico with the caption “Getting our tans on!” I saw the crystal blue water in the background and the sun shining down on them in the background. “So lucky!” I whispered to myself as I grabbed my black bag and headed back to James, who was still standing straight, like a pole. Before I could reach him Mrs. Carmine grabbed my elbow and pulled me towards the piano.

“Are you excited for tomorrow!” she asked, her face as giddy as a schoolgirl’s.

“I’m super excited! I mean it’s a Broadway audition! Who wouldn’t be excited! And I have you to thank.”

“Oh please!” she scoffed. “I just made the call. You did all the work my girl.  See what hard work and determination can reward you with! Have you figured out what your thinking of singing? May I suggest not singing ‘Defying Gravity’?”

We both laughed and I replied, “I’ll keep that in mind! I’ll tell you how it goes. And thank you again!” while walking out the door.

The hallway was empty when I came out and I made a heavy sigh while puffing out my cheeks in disappointment. But suddenly, out popped James from the perpendicular hallway, giving me a mild heart attack. 

“You ready Miss Vertes?” he asks me.

I thread my hand into the hole made by his connected hand and hip and we walked down the hall together until we reached more people. At that time I took away my hand and placed in behind my back. As a group, we walked outside; all listening to Rachel tell a story about her acting class today. 

When the little bell rang on the door of the coffee shop I started to crave a blueberry muffin and a nice hot cup of coffee. Even though it’s mid-March Jack Frost was still nipping at my nose. A hot drink is the prefect medicine for this type of weather. James took everyone’s orders, like he was our waiter, and ordered them on the opposite side of the room.

It was a quaint urban themed coffee house in Soho, that was a lot more then a block or two away from school. It had wood paneling on the walls as well as the floor and oddly shaped furniture, that took the place of the normal uncomfortable tables and chairs. Instead, there were couches, love seats, and coffee tables set up in gatherings, each forming their own private sections of the room.

“So Kendall –“ Briana, one of James’ friends, said, in her sing-songy voice, to me from across the coffee table, “A little birdie told me that someone has their first Broadway audition tomorrow!” I gave a quick smile and a nod trying not to blush.

“It’s just an audition for a back-up dancer. It’s not like I’m trying out for a lead role or anything.” I said, trying to downplay it all.

“It doesn’t matter! I didn’t get the ok from my teachers, telling me I’m ready for auditions, until this year!” exclaimed and excited Julia, who was a junior at the time.

“I just hope you know you’re not going to get it. This is your first audition and, no offense or anything, but you’re just a freshman.” proclaimed a girl named Zoe, with a little too much arrogance. That made my spirits drop pretty quickly.

Luckily James came to my rescue soon enough. “Zoe, it doesn’t matter how old you are it matters about your talent. And let’s all face it guys, Kendall can dance circles around us. We don’t stand a chance when it comes to dancing against her.”

My heart skipped a beat and my cheeks turned to the same deep shade of red as the love seat I was sitting on that wrapped around me like an eggshell. I hid my face behind my cup of coffee then, when my face returned to normal, I said, “Trust me. I know from experience that there are must better dancers then me out there. I wasn’t considered the top dancer at my old studio, in Pittsburg, so what makes you so sure I’m the best dancer at our school?”

“I just know.” He replied with a shrug.

The remaining time at the coffee house was short-lived. As soon as I remembered my to-do-list, waiting for me at home, I chugged my coffee, even though it burnt my throat, waved goodbye to everyone, and walked out the musical doorway.

When I reached my apartment I realized it was unlocked and started to panic. Did I forget to lock the door? Did someone break in? Is it safe to go in? Millions of questions bounced around in my mind. Thank goodness I didn’t call the police because when I opened the door I was greeted by a smiling brunette, who goes by the name Maddie.