Chapter 2

I open my eyes and it takes me a minute to remember where I am. There are empty suitcases and boxes spread over my floor. I guess the jet lag caught up with me. I look at the clock and it says it's 2 am. I sit up and my stomach growls. Well great... where the hell am I supposed to get food at 2 am?

 I clean myself up quickly, just enough so that I can go out in public. I decide to go find some place to get some food maybe a fast food place and then go back to my apartment and finish getting everything in some sort of order. I spot a small restaurant that looks like it's open. I walk in am immediately overwhelmed by the smell of whiskey. Now it makes sense. I'm in a bar.

 I walk over to the bar and sit on a stool and a bartender walks over to me. "Can I get you a drink?"

"Oh, no. I was wondering if you had anything to eat?" I ask getting a funny look from the bartender.

 "Really? That's umm... unexpected? But ya hold on." He grabs a menu and hands it to me. "Here's a menu. I'll be back in a minute to see what you want."

 "Thank you." I say and look at the menu. It's not much but it'll have to do.

 I watch the bartender get the few other people in the bar drinks and then he walks over to me. "See anything there you want?"

 "Umm... I guess I'll get chicken tenders..." I say feeling stupid for ordering chicken tenders at a bar at around 3 o'clock in the morning.

 "Really?" the bartender laughs a little. "Well ok then. One order of chicken tenders coming right up." He walks through the door back to what i guess is a kitchen and then comes back out and stands right in front of me. "So... can I ask what a little girl like you is doing ordering chicken tenders at a bar at 3 in the morning?"

 "Sure I guess. I just got here today from the UK and slept all day. I guess I'm just a bit jet lagged and well I was hungry and don't know where to get food here and saw this place was open and now I'm here waiting for some chicken tenders." I laugh at myself. "I guess I sound kind of crazy."

 "No not at all." he laughs. "I'm John by the way." he has a friendly smile.

 "I'm Hayley. It's nice to meet you."

"Hold on I'll be right back." He goes to fill a drink for some guy who looks like he doesn't need another drink and then walks back into the kitchen. He came out carrying my food. "Want a drink now?" John asks.

 "Just a coke i guess." He looks surprised again.

 "Really? Ok..." He fills up a glass for me and sets it down in front of me. I barely notice because I'm too busy with the food in front of me. "Hayley? How old are you?"

 I look up at him and quickly swallow the food in my mouth. "Nineteen." I say quickly and continue eating. I eat like an animal but am too hungry to care because I'm so hungry.

 "Ah, ok. So why is a nineteen year old girl by herself in LA?" John asks.

 "Who says I'm alone?" I reply quickly. I look down at  my plate and I'm almost done with my food.

 "I took a wild guess that. I mean you are sitting at a bar at 3 in the morning by yourself." He says.

 "Ok. You got me there. I have a summer internship with Scooter Braun. You know who that is right? He's a big time talent manager. You know for Justin Bieber and some other people. And then I'm going to school here in the fall." I say.

 "Well that's pretty cool actually. Why did you want an internship with him? Do you want to me a talent manager or whatever?" John asks seeming genuinly interested.

 "You know you don't have to talk to me right?" I say. I've finished my chicken tenders and there are a few fries left on my plate.

 "I know. It's just not often that i get to talk to someone. I mean look around me and you are the only sober ones here." He says pointedly.

 "That's a good point. Well ya maybe. I know I want to work in the music business I'm just not sure what I want to do yet. I mean I'll probably just be someone's personal assistant or something so whatever."

 "I think that sounds way cooler than working as a bartender in the middle of the night." John says.

 "Well what do you want to do?" I ask him.

 "Hmm... I guess I don't really know. You know no one's ever asked me that. But I guess if I could do anything I'd travel the world. But for now I'm just trying to make enough money to pay rent."

 I sit quietly and think about what John just said. "How old are you? You never said."

 "I just turned 22. So I still have time to travel the world." He smiles.

 We continued to talk for a little while and before I knew it it was almost 5 am. "Well I think I should probably get going" I say leaving money to pay on the counter.

 John pushes the money back towards me "You're foods on me." He smiles.

 "I couldn't!" I say pushing it back towards him.

 He pushes it back at me with a piece of paper. "Maybe you can make it up to me some time." He smiles.

 I look at the piece of paper where he wrote his number and smile to myself. I look back up at him but he's not there. Maybe he walked into the kitchen. I leave him a a few dollars and a note that says 'For traveling the world" and my number before leaving and going back to my apartment.