Chapter Nineteen

Zayn and I sat on one blanket while the other was draped around our shoulders. He held me tightly to his side, running his hand up and down my arm.

"What do you think?" he asked after a while of silence.

I gazed at the beautiful sunset in front of us. The cold air felt good against my cheeks, and I let my toes dig into the sand.

"It's beautiful," I said.

The waves shimmered as they crashed against the shore and the distant sound of laughter made me sigh in relaxation.

"Thank you," I said, leaning my head against Zayn's shoulder. "I never would have thought the bad boy from Bradford could come up with something like this."

"I've got a few tricks up my sleeve." He smiled, pouring another glass of non-alcoholic cider.

I thanked him when he handed my the glass, and I lifted it to my lips.

"Do you miss him, T?"

The question, unexpected, had me furrowing my eyebrows.

"Harry?" I asked. Zayn slowly nodded his head. "Why?"

"I don't know," he shrugged again. "Sometimes, he looks at you when he thinks no one's watching, you know? And I don't know, I guess I'm just wondering how you feel about me. About us."

He laced our fingers together.

Why would Harry look at me, I wondered. I shook my head and lowered my glass.

"Harry loves Nancy, Zayn," I said.

"I know that, T. But—"

"But nothing." I dug the glass into the sand and said, "I'm tired of everyone acting strange every time Harry and I are in the same room. I know Nancy still thinks there's something between us. But we're not in love anymore."

Zayn said, "I guess I just want to know how you feel before I end up forgotten again."

I frowned deeply.

Holding his hand tightly, I said, "I'm not going to forget about you." I touched Zayn's face with the other hand. "I'm happy, Zayn. I don't know what the future for us will be like in a year, or six months. But right now, I am happy."

Zayn leaned into my touch, his eyes fluttering closed. When they opened again, he smiled.

"Taissa, you have no idea how crazy I am about you."

I couldn't help but to return the smile.

Hearing someone say they were crazy about me was something I wanted to hear for a long time. And it coming from Zayn only added to the punch.

Perhaps there was a chance for me to finally find acceptance. To feel loved the way I used to.

"I really like you," I said. "And as much as I do, and as much as it shouldn't matter, the thought of Harry finding out scares me. I don't want him to be upset with you."

Dropping the subject, Zayn ended it with a kiss. Once the sun had completely gone down and our food had been eaten, we sat and talked till we could no longer bare the cold. Zayn, although he didn't want to, said we should go home.

"You wanna come over tomorrow when I get off work?" I asked when he had walked me to my door that night. "Nancy's coming but I'm sure she won't mind the extra company."

Zayn wrapped his arms around me, kissing the top of my head.

"She'll have to deal with me anyway, as long as I get to see you."