A little Friend

Soft light filtered into the room, shining down on my closed eyes, making me groan out in annoyance and roll to my other side, needing more sleep. As I turned I found it difficult to find a comfortable position, my arm was numb and stretching in a way that wouldn't let me lay properly. I sat up slightly, my eyes still closed in sleep, pulling on my arm to only find that it wouldn't budge.

I tried a second time, pulling harder, yet nothing happened.

Groaning in frustration I tried once more, pulling as hard as I could. My eyes were still closed as I tried to preserve the last remnants of sleep, knowing that as soon as I opened my eyes I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep.

There came a loud snap of metal breaking and suddenly I was tumbling off my bed and onto the hard floor. My eyes snapped open in surprise as I lay there staring up at my maroon ceiling in confusion. I moved my head to the side to look over at the large bed I had just fallen out of, the gold and white sheets spilling over the edge and tangling around my feet. I sighed, closing my eyes once more, and stretching out my arms, feeling the cool of the hardwood floor.

My eyes flashed back open, bolting upright and looking around the room again. This was not my room.

Suddenly all of my memories from the other night came crashing back to me. I growled out lowly in anger, slowly pulling myself up off of the ground, my ears perked up to be aware of any sounds.

It was eerily quiet, not only in the room, but also in my head. I had expected my wolf to be voicing her thoughts, angry that we had been severely manhandled in just the last few hours, confused about what the hell had happened, but mostly happy to have found our mate. All throughout our time on the run she would daydream and talk about our mate. I would always shoot her down, knowing that having a mate would be far too dangerous. I was sure she wouldn't have shut up about it now that we had him.

'Tamara?' I called cautiously out to her.

There came no reply.

'Tamara!? Now is not the time to be ignoring me! I need you!' I growled out to her, but I knew this was not her ignoring me.

Pushing the troubles out of my head for now I decided to focus on how to get out of here. Well after killing my mate.

I frowned at that thought, my mind not liking me even joking, well half joking, about killing my mate.

I shook my head, clearing all of those thoughts before heading to the door to the hallway. Grabbing the doorknob I found that it was locked, no surprise there. Rolling my shoulders I sized up the door. Backing up slightly I kicked out at the door, my foot connecting with the wood near the handle. A loud crack rang out across the room as the door flew open, the latch in the siding breaking off and swinging slightly.

Striding out of the room I found the hallway completely empty. I was surprised, I had expected my mate to keep at least one guard at my door in case I had tried to escape. Unless he didn't think I was capable. I couldn't help a low growl that came out at that thought.

Or maybe he wanted me to try to escape. I sighed, blowing my hair out of my face as I cautiously looked down the long hallway. I had barely just met my mate and he already confused and annoyed me far too much.

As I crept down the hallway my inner spy took over, crouching down low and slowly peeking my head out into the next hallway. Call it what you want but for a girl who spent her time either working or staying at home I watched quite a bit of crime television shows and movies and I knew how to put them to use.

Finding the coast clear I quickly darted down the hallway, making sure to stay close to the shadows. As I neared the next corner I heard soft footsteps quickly making their way towards me. My eyes darted around the hallway, trying to find a place to hide, only to come up short. Keeping myself close to the wall I prepared myself for a fight.