Chapter 5: The Oldest Warrior

"Calum? Are you there?" Alice asked as we walked up the stairs to a very old looking building. All we could hear was the sound of creaking floor boards and sharp calls of the crowd. Once we were inside, it actually seemed to be a library.

"Whose Calum?" I asked inspecting the place.

"He has been here the longest. He was a Maori warrior and he died the same age as us," Alice informed me and continued to walk. "Calum?" Alice asked gently, as if she was walking on a land mine.

"SQWAK!" Our attention snapped towards what seemed to be an alter for books and saw a lamp swinging, the light being spread around the room, but a boned hand stopped it. I followed the hand and saw a guy around my age, who had some traditional cultural wear and some black ink on his dead skin.

"I'm sorry about that," he commented and pushed the bird away. He looked at Alice and smiled.

"Hello there Alice," he than turned to look at me and stared in confusion "and who is this?" He asked protectively. I don't understand, I mean no problems.

"This is my husband, Luke,"

He quirked up a ripped eyebrow.  "Oh really?" He asked amused probably because of me being alive and Alice being....well, dead.

"Please to met you sir," I said over pronouncing the word so he could hear me properly.  Calum  nodded in response and turned his attention onto Alice with that lovely look in his eyes. Everyone who I have seen down in this place seem to love Alice, you could always tell with the look of their eyes...or in mostly likely cases, eye.

"What do you need my help with," he said starting walk down the stairs that connected up to Alter or whatever the thing was. As he walked down, more of him was exposed. He had black swirling traditional tattoos across his right side of his chest, some of them leading down to a bit of him were it was showing his rib cage and his spinal cord and the top of his pelvis.

"We need to go up. Upstairs?" Alice asked him trying to give him an idea but he was clueless. "We need to visit the land of the living," Alice told him and Calum was shocked.

"Land of the living?"

"That is correct," I commented uneasily. Calum looked at us as if we were crazy, trust me mate, you're not the only one.

"But why on earth would you want to go up there when everyone is dying to get down here,"

Really? Another pun? Is this what I'm going to have to look forward to when I die? "Please sir" I started off. "Please would you help? It would mean so much to me--" I paused before I could make my plan go out. "I mean us, of course,",

Calum scratched at his dark brown hair and looked uncertain. "I don't know. It just not normal," he said, clearly not knowing this circumstances.

Alice than walked up to him and took his boney hand. "Please Calum. Surely there must be something we can do," Alice asked with hope. Calum was silent for a while and even looked between the the pair of us as well.

"Where did I put that book," he asked himself with a mysterious smile. Calum walked over to one of the many bookshelves and pulled out a heavy red leather book and walked back up to the podium. I ducked underneath it quickly and suddenly came up wit ha few glass bottles, obviously filled with something and a wine cup. He than opened the book at a certain page and started throwing the stuff into the glass

"An Ukrainian haunting spell seems the trick," he smiled starting to get everything together.

"I'm so glad you thought of this," Alice whispered in my ear. I smiled at my devious plan