Chapter 3

"And now, we welcome our daughters of Illéa - the Selected!"

It was another Friday night, just like any other. I sat next to Frans on the cold, hard ground, watching the report earnestly. A wide range of different girls rolled into the screen. One had a flower crown on her head; she was so clearly the winner now... Another looked like an angel from heaven - she had a pure white dress, as if she was already in a wedding. Even in the photo, she stared at the distance dreamily and thoughtfully.

"Oceania Vines from Waverly, Seven." A girl with the brightest smile I've ever seen fluttered onto the screen, her hair wavy just like the sea. She looked pretty nonetheless despite the denim overalls and the dirt on her face.

"Hestia -"

I couldn't bare to look. The dread has dawned on me, I hope it was someone else called Hestia. Someone else called Hestia, please...

But I knew that stupid hope was futile. Hestia was such a rare name, and...

"Hestia Lightwood from Carolina, Eight."

The next minutes were a total chaos. There was a collective gasp amongst the audience on the screen, in which whispers followed. I imagined what they had to say about me, and they weren't nice. "That Eight..." "She's stolen our spot!" 

I looked around me, to be greeted by shock-driven faces and expressions of horror. I am probably standing on their bad side now. For being an Eight. For being one of the lowest in our country. For being Selected. For ruining everyone else's chances. What I called caste climbers, the people who were determined to marry a few castes up, looked absolutely disgusted at this news. Even the Twos, who were dressed ever so beautifully just to watch this occasion outside of their homes, looked at me resentfully with disdain.

"You entered the Selection?"

I didn't answer. I put my hands to my face, showing no excitement at all, unlike what the other Selected might be doing right now.

I stared into empty space, in realisation that my freedom was gone - I was going to be taken to the palace for the Selection, whether I liked it or not. I wasn't prepared when I filled out the form. I never wanted to be with stupid Calix. I never wanted to be with Frans either. I didn't know what was going to happen before my eyes. 

He shook me. "Hestia! You entered the Selection?" His lightning-coloured eyes, which were widened in disbelief, met mine, and whatever thoughts for compensation was gone. 

"Hestia Lightwood, you answer me right now!" The voice struck me like thunder, and he grabbed me once more. My sweaty palms could not escape his strong grasp; my seemingly-innocent eyes could never withstand his mighty glare. There was no getting away with this.

I had lost his trust.

"I-I didn't..."

I said the first thing that came to my mind, ignoring any other thought. My voice came out hollow and soft, but sharp and piercing at the same time. "I never put my name in."

And I knew I lied. I backed away from the crowd, running towards the doors, leaving everything behind me - Frans's trust for me, my freedom, everything I had ever held on to in order for survival... The words had pierced him like a knife; and I had hurt him badly. The tense atmosphere lingered behind me as everyone stared at each other in bewilderment, and I could have sworn that the air was so silent that you could hear a pin drop. Pushing past torrents of fear, I placed my hand on the cool glass panes of the door, and stepped out of the building, still shivering in the cold and darkness.

***

My bare feet slammed onto the hard ground. The bleak dreary landscape zoomed into focus as daylight drew nearer and nearer. I had wandered through the streets all night, worried about what should happen next, what should I do next, what would happen to me next....

Frans was gone. My freedom was gone. Hestia. Stop. Think.

That was my life motto for when I was stressed or worried. It almost always worked for me, as I was a planning type of person. Usually, I would be able to come up with some plan or strategy to help me get through what I was experiencing.

But for obvious reasons, it didn't work this time.

I turned around a corner, hobbling into a tiny alleyway. I had lost everything I had. It's time for a new plan. One that I probably wouldn't like. The feelings were overwhelming, and checking on my surroundings before sitting down, laying my jacket out on the cement for me to lie on. I actually could not properly lie on it, as this jacket was two sizes smaller than what I would have worn if I still had the money to buy one. Half sitting and half lying down, I made up my decision. Should I try to escape from the palace staff, so that they would never get me to go on that plane headed for the palace? Or should I go back to Frans to explain everything, and just live with it? The possibilities were unlimited, and I was thoroughly uncertain about everything except for one thing - that I was uncertain.

Replaying the scenes in my head, I thought about what I should have done in the first place. Not that it would be helpful in this situation anyways. Come on. You aren't the logical self you used to be. I told myself.

Shut up, Angel Hestia! You're caught in such a bad situation now. There's nothing to do that would help, so why not just follow your instincts?

Hestia, use your conscience. 

I mapped out a diagram in my mind. I have so many choices right now: go back to Frans and face an angry face; hide away from everyone forever; stay on my own and try to survive. I even thought of the worst case - going home.

Before I knew it, I was crying.

Home reminded me of not warmth and happiness, but fear and abuse. It was my childhood's nightmare. It was the reason why I am here right now and not lounging comfortably on a couch. It was nothing but pure cruelty. I didn't know what to do. This was the problem - I couldn't turn back and run.

Weighing out the possibilities. Deciding on the best choice. That's what I should be doing now. I immediately ruled out going home. I'm definitely never ever going back to where my dark past came from. I didn't want to face Frans either - it was just unbearable. Hiding from the palace guards - impossible. They had eyes everywhere you could possibly imagine, and I had no chance of escaping the Selection. I pushed different ideas away, picking out the flaws in them as I shook my head in concern.

That left me with one choice. I'm going to have to move on just like this and try to survive on my own. The odds were against me, but this was the only possible chance of me having even the slightest hint of hope in my future.

I stood up and walked along, leaving everything behind me, pushing my happy days away, starting a new line of fate, never able to turn back again, as I plunged into the uncertain.

***

Cliffhanger!!! Mwahahaha. What did you think? 

-Fictionalxfangxrl