Chapter Twenty-Five

For pity's sake, he'd kissed her in his sleep!

Descending the stairs two at a time as he headed for the workshop, Tristan couldn't decide which was worse: the fact that he'd done such a thing, or the fact that he'd missed out on really experiencing it.

The only thing he was certain of, he thought as a footman threw the front doors open wide, was that he needed to go home. He'd take the pump apart today and put it back together with the new piece tomorrow. Adjusting the blasted thing again would eat up the better part of the day, but that would keep him busy while everyone else was occupied with the ball. Saturday morning he'd install the pump and leave with a sigh of relief. He was counting the hours.

And hoping he'd find the strength to keep away from her.

I wish you would.

Had she meant him to hear that? No matter—he had. And—friendship aside—the thought that she might want him regardless of his reputation was enough to make him run the opposite direction.

Anything beyond friendship would prove a disaster for them both—there was no disputing that fact.

"My lord? Are you in need of something?"

Tristan blinked, realizing he was standing stock-still in the middle of the quadrangle. Servants crisscrossed the lawn, carrying baskets of laundry and buckets of water, slanting him curious glances as they went about their business.

"No," he told the footman. "Thank you for your concern."

He headed for his temporary workshop, a dim, doorless room meant for storing lumber, but empty this time of year. After lighting a few candles around the pump, he stood waiting for his eyes to adjust.

No wonder she'd put on his cameo this morning—she thought their relationship had changed. To her, that kiss had meant something.

He wished he could remember it.

And he wished, more fervently still, that their circumstances were different. Because a tiny part of him was beginning to wonder, despite past experience, whether marital happiness—if not true love—might be possible with a girl like Alexandra. A girl who seemed to complement him in so many ways.

But all the sorrow she'd endured didn't change the fact that she'd grown up in the bosom of a large, loving family—a family that was unquestionably part of society's elite. She'd never known isolation, never faced disapproval, never walked into a room and felt the chill of icy gazes that stared right through her. Never had whispers behind her back sound louder than the thoughts in her own head.

And now that they'd kissed again, he feared the thoughts in her head might be telling her an alliance between them could somehow take place.

Well, he'd have to nip that in the bud.

Cursing under his breath, he set to removing the first bolt. Blast this peculiar affliction. Not only had it suddenly reappeared, it seemed to be getting worse. He'd never before kissed anyone while sleepwalking—at least as far as he knew. Usually he just ambled around for a bit, although he'd been known to dress himself and go outdoors on occasion. Once in a while he'd heard reports of other activities, but he'd never done anything in his sleep that wasn't a trivial, everyday action.

At least...as far as he knew.

Sometimes he wondered. 

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Did you know you really can make out (or, ahem, go further) with someone in your sleep? This is a real condition called sexsomnia with many documented cases...and at least one Law and Order: SVU episode. :b

That's all for today, as I'm in the throes of holiday gift shopping, but look for another update tomorrow!

Thanks so much for reading Chapter 25 of ALEXANDRA and for your votes, comments, and shares!

xoxo,

Devon

P.S. I'll be posting new chapters of ALEXANDRA each week, but if you'd rather binge-read the rest of the book now, it's currently on sale at Amazon for just 99¢!

And if you'd like to see Alexandra's sisters find love (while Juliana pulls off a daring matchmaking scheme and Corinna launches her art career) check out the next two books in the Regency Chase Brides series!

http://royall.ink/Alexandra/Amazon

http://royall.ink/Juliana/Amazon

http://royall.ink/Corinna/Amazon