Chapter 2

I sat in my car that was too big for one person, and clenched the steering wheel, that honestly didn't need to be heated with a bunch of controls.

I bent my head over the steering wheel, feeling my chest tighten. Holding in a sob, I breathed deeply.

"Come on, Scottie, don't do this today." I whispered to myself. "Not today." I whispered again.

But as I listened to the song playing, "Oh, I wanna dance with somebody, I wanna feel the heat with somebody, Yeah, I wanna dance with somebody, with somebody who loves me."

I felt an immeasurable sadness as I remembered this song. The last time I'd heard this was the happiest I'd ever remembered feeling.

Sighing, trying to repair the fissures running through me, I put my car into reverse and backed out of my driveway.

Then, I voice-commanded my phone to call a certain number I'd been saving for a desperate day.

"Hello! Tyler's Escorting. Can I help you?"

I shut my eyes, willing everything to go away, but I knew it wasn't happening.

"Hi, uh, my name is Scott Hoying, H-O-Y-I-N-G."

"Alright, sir. And just to inform you, for the safety of our workers, we do employ background checks on our clients."

I nodded, until I realized he couldn't see me. "Yes, uh, yes that's fine. But, I don't want people to know...who I am." I stuttered awkwardly.

"Sir, rest assured everything is strictly confidential."

"Thank you." I sighed.

"Your appointment will be available later tonight." And with that, the man I assumed was "Tyler" hung up.

I put my head in my hand, slightly. I couldn't believe what I'd just done.

***

Pulling into the parking lot, it looked like a regular building, not what you'd expect.

Sitting in my car for a few minutes, I tried to collect my thoughts, failing miserably.

As I opened my eyes, I saw a man and a woman step out of a state-issued vehicle and head towards the building. Curiosity, of course getting the better of me, forced me to get out of my car and head towards the building myself.

I noticed them standing in front of a small man, who was carefully slipping in front of a small boy, who was obliviously working on something.

I slipped into a chair by the door, watching with rapt attention.

I heard the phrases "ward of state" and "appropriate environment." I was shocked when I heard the small man shout,

"No please! You can't take him, he's my brother!" I think the woman more so than the man relented and granted him a few minutes.

I could feel myself tearing up at the emotional scene before me. The man, who was obviously trying very hard to contain himself, turned to the boy, whispering to him. The boy nodded, running into a connected room. A few seconds later, he reappeared with a small suitcase.

I saw the little boy break into a small smile, which clearly had an affect on the man. I watched as they exchanged a few words, I heard a whisper of "your cellphone" and "saved under Mitchie."

What nearly broke my heart was his next words, "Remember, I love you. I'll come for you soon, okay?" I saw him give a watery smile when the boy said, "I love you too, Mitchie."

With that, I watched the boy be escorted out by the agents. He looked...worried, but also like he didn't understand what was happening to him.

Sniffling, I dabbed my eyes with my sleeve. The exchange, on top of what was happening today, pushed my over the edge.

I glanced at the small man, who was sitting at the table now, crying. I looked at him with interest. His brown hair fell over one side of his face. He had a frail appearance and I was afraid that as his sobs racked his body, he was going to break. I wanted to take him into my arms, protect him-

-As soon as the thought crossed my mind, I felt my heart give a tug. The clouds returned to me and the memory of today's significance weighed on me once more, which reminded me of why I came here.

I approached the front desk, and walked up to a guy with brown hair and bright blue eyes, humming a song to himself.

"Are you Tyler?" I asked awkwardly.

"No, can I ask who's asking?" He replied shortly, an Australian accent lacing his words. Instantly, a guy with bright blue hair opened the door behind the front desk and wrapped his arms around the boy.

He whispered into his ear, and the boy with brown hair blush, looking down quickly. He turned to me and said, "Sorry," before running back into the room that the blue-haired guy had just come from.

"Sorry about him. That's Troye, my boyfriend. He can be overprotective, but I swear it's the cut- Sorry. Uh- I'm Tyler. You must be Scott. I chose my absolute best for you. I'll brb."

I looked down as he left, pulling out my phone. I saw about a dozen missed calls from Mar, my best friend. I sighed, slipping my phone back into my pocket.

Suddenly, I was startled to see the small man in front of me, a seductive look on his face.

"Let's get out of here," he whispered. But, he didn't look at my face, he focused on my chest. His fingers danced and I almost melted from how attractive he was up close. His lips were pink and his cheeks, albeit slightly pale for his complexion, had dimples that were evident already.

Weakly, I nodded, but I knew I didn't want to sleep with him, I wanted to get to know him. I just wondered if he would let me.