Chapter 6: The Acknowleged

Bắt đầu từ đầu

I heard him shift back and off his knees, so I was guessing he was sitting on his butt now. Maybe his knees really were killing him after all. "Why are you afraid of me?"

"What?"

"Earlier you said you were afraid of the pack and me." Shit. I was hoping he hadn't heard me say him. "¿Por qué?"

"Why? I'm not sure really." It wasn't him I was afraid of. It was my react-

"Then is it safer to say you aren't afraid of me, but your reactions towards me is what scares you?"

I swallowed the lump I felt rising in my throat. How'd he figure it out? He'd taken the words exactly out of my thoughts. It was almost like he'd read my mind. Wasn't that considered cheating in this so called truth exercise? "If you're wondering whether or not I read your mind, I didn't." He told me. "I just know you, that's all."

Bullshit. No one knows me that well. I felt fingers grasp my wrist and pull me forward, and I landed on something hard. My eyes fluttered open, and once again came in contact with those brown gems. I now knew that I'd landed on his chest with my body centered in between his legs. "Yes, I know you just that well." I started to call bullshit on that one too, but he looked so serious that... Shit. I can't think properly with him looking at me like this. I have to look away. If I don't I'll forget. Forget... Damn. What was I trying not to forget?

"Do you understand now?"

Even before I realized it I found myself nodding slowly. Yes. I now understood completely though I was cursing myself for not holding out a bit longer. I loved Devlyn, and loved him probably more than I loved myself. It was times like this- times when he made me acknowledge the simplest things, things that I didn't even want to realize- that I loved him so much.

It explained why I got said dark look on my face whenever anyone threatened to take him away from me. It explained why I couldn't concentrate on anything with him standing next to me or why I got so nervous when he appeared on my doorstep or even a guilty feeling whenever I did something I knew he didn't like. I saw something in his eyes then that caused my breath to hitch.

Holy shit.

Yep.

I loved Devlyn James. It was probably a good thing though. I mean, he was my mate after all... But there was no way I was admitting it aloud. Uh uh. No fucking way. I'd have to just act normal and play it cool.

Show me how to lie 

You're getting better all the time 

And turning all against the one  

is an art that's hard to teach!

I  scrambled off of him at the sound.

Another clever word  

sets off an unsuspecting herd 

And as you step back in the line  

a mob jumps to their feet.

I let out a breath. So much for playing it cool, I thought. It was just my phone. Well, actually it was just Z calling. 'You're Gonna Go Far Kid' by The Offspring. It was our favorite song.

Now dance fucker dance 

man he never had a chance 

And no one even knew  

it was really only you

And now you steal away 

Take him out today