40

*NALAH*

"We are still a family." My dad lied for the millionth time.

"No! We aren't!" I jumped up from the couch. "We aren't!"

"It's ok baby, she's just upset." She said.

"Don't speak for me!" I yelled at her. "You don't know me!"

"Nalah!" My dad yelled, standing up. "You don't speak to her that way! She is an adult that is disrespectful."

"Oh! Now you care about respect!? You weren't being respectful when you were sleeping with her while you were married to mom!"

My dad raised his hand and slapped me so hard that I fell onto the floor.

"Hey!" My mom rushed into the room. "How dare you touch my daughter!"

"MY daughter?" My dad snapped. "Did you hear what OUR daughter just said?"

"Yes! And she's fu**ing right! Get out! Get out right now! And expect a notice in the mail. I'm filing for full custody. After what you just did the judge would be crazy to deny me again!"

I stayed on the floor, holding my burning cheek.

"Nalah." My dad said, kneeling beside me. "I'm so sorry princess. I'm so sorry. Please forgive me. I'm sorry."

"I never wanna see you again." I told him.

"You don't mean that Nalah. What about your brother?"

I glared at her rounded stomach. "That is not my brother."

My dad touched my hand and I pulled away. The tears in his eyes didn't affect me at all. "Sweetie please."

"I hate you." As the words escaped my mouth I felt relief. "I hate you. I hate you for never being there for me, I hate you for what you did to mom, and I hate you for putting her before me. I hope you enjoy your new family, because you aren't part of mine anymore."

I got up and rushed up the stairs, silently hoping to never see him again.