22

*NALAH*

My eyes burned from the cool wind that hit my eyes while I cried. I squeezed Vanessa as hard as I could.

"You haven't even left yet, and I miss you already." I told her.

She squeezed me tighter in response and sniffled.

"I miss you too."

When we finally let go of each other I hugged her parents and then they were getting in the car.

"Nalah." Nessa said through the open window.

"Yeah?"

"The next time I see you, Jovani better be crossed off your wish list."

I laughed and wiped my tears with my thumb.

"Bye Nessa." I said sadly.

"Bye."

I stepped back and wrapped my arms around my mom. I watched the little red car get smaller and smaller until it turned the corner and dissapeared from my view. I sobbed into my mom's chest as if I was a 6 year old girl instead of a 16 year old one. Now that Vanessa's gone I'm on my own again.

"Do you wanna watch a movie?" My mom asked.

"No, I think I'm just ganna go to bed. I'm tired."

"Oh. Ok."

We walked back into the house and she walked towards the kitchen while I climbed the stairs to get to my room. I held my pillow close to my chest and squeezed it while I cried. Seeing Vanessa made me realize how much I miss my old life, my friends, and...my dad. He never even texted me Happy Thanksgiving. When my phone vibrated I unlocked the screen and saw that Jovani texted me, I let my screen time out, leaving the message unopened. Nothing could make me feel better right now.

I cried so hard that I thought I'd never stop, and felt shocked when I opened my eyes to a sun filled room. I guess I really was tired.

"Good morning Princess." My mom said sweetly, sitting on the edge of my bed. "Do you want me to take the day off work? We can hang out, and talk." She rubbed my forhead with her palm.

"No. Go to work ma, I'm fine, I promise. I just...needed to let myself cry."

She looked at me with concern, but I shook my head. "I'm fine. I promise."

"Ok." She frowned.

I followed her downstairs and while she got ready for work I made myself a waffle. I poured some syrup and powdered sugar on top and when I took my first bite my phone vibrated the table.

Jovani:
~Goodnight (10:43pm)
~Hey :) (8:02am)

-Hi! Sorry, I was really tired last night.

~It's ok, don't worry about it. Soooo...I have a question

-Okay, shoot

I took another bite of my waffles and smiled when I felt the powdered sugar melt on my tongue.

~I know its super last minute, but Julian and I are going to the movies with a bunch of friends later to see the new Hunger Games. Do you wanna come?

-Oh...I don't think so. I'm really shy around people I don't know, and plus my mom is about to leave for work.

~That's fine. You can ride with me and Julian, and I can pay for you too.

-I think I'm just gonna stay home...

~Pleeeease? Rosalie's ganna be there, and Mark and David from art class.

-mmmm...

~Pretty please with a cherry on top?

-What time?

~6:30pm

I took another bite of my waffle just as my mom walked into the kitchen.

"Ma, I know it's really last minute, but Jovani invited me to the movies today, can I go?"

My mom sat across from me with wide eyes. "You and Jovani are going to the movies?" She smirked.

"Nooo mom, there's a group of kids from school going."

"Oh." She frowned. "That's fine, what time?"

"6:30. Jovani said that they'll drive me."

"Okay. Do you need any money?"

"No, I have some."

She stood up and nodded. "You can go, have fun. I want all the details."

"Mom." I blushed. "Stop it."

"Well I do." She kissed my cheek and smiled. "Bye baby."

"Bye mom."

She walked out the front door, and then I was alone.

-My mom said yes.

~Great! I'll see you later then.

-Mhmm. Bye

~Bye

Ok...so now what in the world can I do to keep myself busy until 6:30?