13

*JOVANI*

When Nalah texted me to say she was on her way over, I went outside and started walking so that I could at least meet her half way, but my plan didn't work. When I turned at the corner of my street we bumped into eachother.

"Oh gosh! I'm sorry!" She gasped. "I wasn't paying attention."

She tucked her phone into the pocket of her jeans and smiled. "Hi Jovani."

"Hey Nalah."

I took her backpack from her and put one strap over my shoulder.

"Oh, I can carry it. It's not heavy." She told me, reaching for it back.

"Nalah. You could be carrying a pencil and I'd take it from you." I laughed.

"Gosh." She rolled her eyes and hit my arm playfully. "How weak do you think I am?"

"I didn't say you're weak. It's just the polite thing to do."

She shook her head with a smile on her face as we walked. "Sure, but a pencil?" She laughed.

"Okay...I admit, that wasn't the best example." I shrugged.

After a few seconds of silence, she spoke. "Soo...I deleted my fanpage this morning."

"Oh. Okay. That's fine." I honestly didn't mind that she deleted it, I understand how it could feel weird to keep it.

I opened the front door to my house and let her in first.

"Dad! Nalah's here!" I called. I shut and locked the door behind us. "My mom's at work, but my dad is home." I explained to Nalah, who probably expected to see my mom.

"Oh, ok." She nodded.

When my dad appeared I could see how nervous Nalah was, she gets this certain look whenever she meets someone new.

"Nalah, welcome to my home. I'm here if you guys need anything."

"Thanks Mr.Jara." She smiled and then she glanced at me, unsure of what to do.

"Dad, Julian's at the kitchen table editing a video, so we're ganna go upstairs."

"That's fine, just stay out of trouble. I'm too young for grandchildren."

I laughed at my dad's unnecessary comment and laughed a little more when I saw Nalah's blushing face trying to fight a smile. I grabbed Nalah's hand and she walked behind me on the narrow stair way. I couldn't help but think of those photos you see of couples where the guys is leading the girl towards a waterfall or something beautiful, but all you see is her arm stretched out to hold his hand.

"Here is my room." I announced as I opened the door. "It's not as nice as yours."

She laughed. "Yeah, that's because my music notes are fire."

I laughed a little harder than I should have, but I was just so shocked to hear this beautiful, shy, smart girl say "fire".

"You have a point." I confessed. "They are pretty fire." I cleared my throat. "I cleared off the desk so we could have more space."

"Ok." She said, sitting down in one of the computer chairs.

Since we both needed more inspiratiom for our pictures we took turns asking questions about one another.

I discovered that her favorite candy is Hershey's cookies and cream bar, she hates Haribo Gummy bears (I know! She's crazy!) and she's a dog lover. I wasn't surprised to hear that she's an only child, it explains her shyness, but I was surprised to hear her say that she hates it.

"But you don't have to share a room, or fight over the remote control!" I laughed.

She shrugged. "It's just so boring. I always wished I had a sister or brother. My best friend Vanessa was the closest thing I had to a sibling. Our parents were close and she slept over all the time."

There was a special sparkle in her eyes when she talked about her friend, but the sparkle vanished.

"Are you guys still friends?" I asked her.

"I...I think so. I've texted her a few times and I get stupid one word responses. She's gotten close with one of our other friends, they seem happy." She frowned, but perked up. "That's what happens when you move, friendships change, it's okay."

I nodded and looked down at her drawing.

"Oh my gosh!" I smiled. Her picture looked like a giant gummy bear was throwing up all these colorful logos and items. "That's so cool!"

"Really? Thanks. I like yours too."

My drawing consisted of a big camera, because Nalah loves photography and surrounding the camera were all the things she loved. Puppies, icecream, music notes, everything I knew about her so far.

"Nalah."

"Yes?"

"When are you gonna stop being shy around me?"

I pulled her chair closer because she was practically at the other end of the room.

"Probably never." She sighed. "Sorry."

"Don't be. Like I said before, it's cute."

She looked down at her paper and let her hair fall, creating a curtain between us. I didn't have to see her in order to know she was smiling.