Chapter Four

What the hell are you supposed to wear to homecoming? I'd been to so many but I had never actually cared or thought about what I looked like. My nostrils flared and I took off my shirt again. My preference for comfort over style was betraying me. I don't even know why I care so much this time, it's not like I had a date or something. I had two pairs of jeans, both of which cut into my hips because I rarely wore them and I had grown since I bought them. I buttoned up my only dress shirt and looked in the mirror again.

Kayla knocked on the door, "What is taking you so long, we're going to be late!" She promptly barged in. "What are you doing?"

"Trying to figure out what to wear."

"Alecia. It's homecoming. Wear what you wore to school. Since when do you care anyway?"

I looked down and took off my shirt, tossing it away and plunging back into the closet. I grabbed the only form fitting V-neck I own, which I didn't like to wear because I was usually far too sweaty to get away with it. Maybe large amounts of antiperspirants would save me. The longer I had the jeans on the more comfortable they got. I picked up a pair of flats and looked at them. I shook my head and put on tennis shoes instead.

"Oh my God. You have a date, don't you? Who is he?"

I looked at Kayla, "I don't have a date."

"Whatever you say." She looked at what I was wearing and scoffed, "You need to change clothes, you look so uncomfortable."

~

I sat in the bleachers waiting for the game to start, Kayla and I had snuck in the back way so I wouldn't have to pay admission, she was already off with her friends though. Cheven and Bev found me and sat down. I looked for Hanna, I finally spotted her with Gabe. Gabe came and sat on the other side of me, and Cheven glared across at Hanna. I was so happy they had come to sit by me that I didn't care what Cheven was doing. We all had fun ignoring the game and talking about anything besides football.

Our football team got destroyed, and soon we all migrated to the gym for the dance. I danced and goofed off with the soccer team for a while, but soon I noticed Hanna standing over by herself. She looked dangerously bored. I grabbed a glass of punch and joined her. We stood off to the side of the gym with our punch.

"Well hey stranger," she said with a curious smile, watching me.

I got nervous all the sudden and looked out at the dance floor to make sure no one from the team was watching us.

"Relax, no one sees us talking."

My head snapped to her, "What?"

"You're looking for your friends to make sure they're not watching. I know they talk about me." I looked at her, unsure what to say. She took a drink of the punch I had brought her, "Here, let's step outside and talk, take the pressure off."

She walked out the door that was cracked to let cool air in the gym and I soon followed. Hanna looked at the moon, it was so bright that it illuminated any shadow that would have been on her face. She leaned against the wall and breathed deeply. I leaned against the wall with her. "I'm sorry they talk about you. I wish I could get them to stop."

She laughed, "They're your friends Alecia, you couldn't get them to stop without outing yourself."

"Outing myself?" I said, trying to figure out if she was implying what I thought she was.

"Well you know," She said as her cheeks flushed red.

I turned my head and grinned, watching her, "No I don't." She knows I'm gay. I want her to say it.