Chapter 7: The First Day

Start from the beginning

"Oh shit," he hissed, clambering over the mound of covers to the edge he'd just pushed me off. "Um, are you ok? I didn't mean to push you or anything... Shit."

I suddenly sat up, scaring the life out of Jay I might add, a ridiculously huge grin covering my face.

"Oh Jay!" I scolded with a false posh accent, almost like my aging French teacher's. "Did you just swear? What would my mother think!?"

Jay snorted and threw a pillow at me. I ducked it easily – his 'legendary' athletic skills weren't quite up to par when he was still half-asleep. Still smirking I clocked that little piece of information away for later. Might come in handy in a slagging match...

"What did you pick?" I asked, shrugging on my old shirt from Friday without a second thought. Jay was in the middle of a wrestling match with a pair of terrifyingly tight jeans.

"Eh?"

The extra concentration it took to come up with this reply shattered his focus and he fell to the ground with a satisfying thud. I grinned and pulled on my own jeans, a greyer, baggier pair.

"I said, what did you pick? Subject-wise?"

Jay stood in silence for a moment, rubbing the last remnants of sleep from his eyes with his sleeve. "Oh... Um, maths, English and Italian weren't optional at my last school, but other than that I picked geography, physics, biology..." He ticked off each subject on his fingers as he listed them. "Um, chemistry and music. Yeah, that's it."

My jaw dropped. "Are you shitting?"

"Look who's swearing now?" he teased, combing his slender fingers through his hair seeing as we were lacking a brush. I rolled my eyes.

"I'm a grumpy git of a teenage boy. Get used to it."

"Um, yeah..." Jay seemed unsure how to respond to that one. I didn't blame him. "But, um, what's with all the surprise?"

I looked at him quizzically for a moment before realization registered on my face. "Oh! Yeah, uh, me and you picked like all the same subjects... Well, aside from Italian and geography, but still. That's some coincidence."

Jay gave me a small smile. "Yeah. Hey, does this mean I'll be in some of your classes then?"

I shrugged. It was likely, but not guaranteed. Because I'd had to shuffle my subjects around the columns to take three sciences my classes were all rather small, made up of fellow science lovers. And within my high school we were a small group. My chemistry class was the fullest practical I had, with only fifteen students. Considering most other practical classrooms were bursting at the seams, fifteen was really a tiny amount of pupils, just a smattering really.

"Dunno. I mean, I've got really small classes so I'll probably end up stuck with you most of the time..." I kept my tone dull and fed up but I couldn't hide the small grin from slipping onto my face. I was usually a bit of a loner in school and provided Jay wasn't brainwashed by the footballers he might stick with me. I'd never admit it out loud but the prospect of friendship seemed... nice.

"Oh ok. Cool."

I couldn't help but notice the not so discreet grin on Jay's face either.

Breakfast was a quick affair of toast and jam, with Jay and I subtly swapping tea behind my mum's back again like some illicit trade heist. It was kinda amusing, sharing daft glances full of snickers while my mum chatted away, oblivious. As we were just about to head out the door however she pulled out the 'concerned parent' card.

"Ok Jay, are you all set?" she asked for the twelfth time in as many minutes. Jay nodded, a faint pint tinge visible on his cheeks. I didn't miss the 'help me!' look he shot me either.