Chapter 38- Heartbeat

"For someone pregnant, you sure are quick on that ice," Derek remarked in amusement, gulping down his water bottle as we took a break from our game of pond hockey.

"You should've seen her play in high school. She was a fireball- scoring hat tricks and leading the girls' team to state championships year after year," Justin said proudly, ruffling my hair.

"Oh really?" Derek arched a brow, his eyes twinkling with curiosity.

"My brother's exaggerating. I wasn't that good," I muttered, trying to switch the subject. Unlike Justin, I hated being praised to high heavens. I'd much rather keep my accomplishments to myself.

"She got a scholarship to play D1 hockey at the University of Minnesota her senior year," Justin countered with a bold grin.

"Damn, that's incredible. Didn't Nick play hockey there, too?", Derek asked me.

Justin's eyes quickly darted to mine, trying to read my emotions as I grew still, the feeling of grief and pain fresh in my mind. Ever since we arrived in Minnesota two days ago, I'd thought of my best friend frequently.

The drive downtown yesterday had been especially painful, reminding me of when I'd taken that same route nearly four years ago to see Nick at the hospital before he died.

Tomorrow, I planned to visit both his grave and my dad's after having lunch with the Schneiders'. People always said it'd get easier as time went by, but I had a feeling that wouldn't be the case for me.

"Claire? Where'd you go?", Derek's voice interrupted my thoughts.

"Huh? Oh, I was just thinking for a bit," I mumbled distractedly. "And yes, Nick played hockey for the U."

"Are you alright, sweetheart?", he asked worriedly, reaching out to caress my cheek with his palm.

"I'm fine. Let's go play some more hockey." I stood up on my skates, giving him a look of reassurance.

Derek seemed hesitant for a moment, but then he got up as well, slipping on his helmet. Lauren threw him a hockey stick, and I was about to skate after them when Justin grabbed my elbow.

"What?", I asked him.

"Your husband knows about Nick?"

"Yes. We tell each other everything." I managed a smile then skated towards center ice.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my friends, Becca and Ellie, from high school approaching, and immediately, I dropped my stick, rushing straight at them.

"Claire!", they squealed, opening their arms as the three of us collapsed onto the ice in a huge bear hug.

"Oh my god, I missed you guys so much," I spoke through tears of joy.

"You've been gone for so long! Hell, it's so great to finally see you again." Ellie pulled away to take in my appearance and just like expected, her green eyes drifted down to my stomach. "Girl, you're pregnant?!"

"Almost ten weeks now," I said happily.

"Your body still looks amazing, though," Ellie chirped.

"Who's the baby daddy?," Becca asked with a playful smirk.

"That big ol' klutz." I motioned my head towards Derek, who was trying to score a goal but ended up falling on his ass. We started laughing, and he gave us the finger.

Ellie and Becca both got to their feet, offering a hand to help me up, and as they were putting on their skates, I remembered the moments we spent getting ready for a big game in our locker rooms. Our coach would tell us that no win or loss could define who we were. It was our bond as a team that mattered most.