Reunion

As Max drove through the town she once called home, she smiled seeing every building still in tact and not destroyed. She feels this way every time she comes back to visit. After the incident she couldn't bear to live in Arcadia Bay anymore with all of the things she saw. Soon however, she pulled into the parking lot of the Two Whales Diner at around 9:30 P.M., and frowned at the sight of it. It had really gone down hill since she had left. It's once brightly lit sign was missing letters and the windows in the front had been broken but replaced with wooden boards. She parked her car and stepped out into the cold night air. She shoved her hands in the pockets of her sweater and made a bee-line to the entrance to escape the frigid weather.

When she entered the diner, the familiar smell of fried food and coffee over took her senses. She glanced around and took in the sight of police officers having a late night dinner and the waitress talking animatedly with them at the counter. Joyce's shift must have ended because she was no where to be seen, but Max searched the booths until she saw who she was looking for. He sat in the booth at the end of the diner and was tapping his fingers on the table absentmindedly.

Even as she looked at him from across the room, she could tell he had lost a ton of weight and his face seemed older.He had very dark marks surrounding his eyes and his skin was almost paler than Max's, and he had a very straight posture. At least compared to the way he used to sag his shoulders constantly. He was wearing a plain white shirt and a worn out hoodie that had holes and stains every where. Nathan all together looked like a mess... but... happier. He smiled out the window as if he was fascinated with it. He stared animatedly at the shore line not far from the small diner.

Max took a deep breath and slowly approached his table. As she drew closer, she had caught Nathan's attention and he turned his head to look at her. He smiled warmly at her with a look of admiration and hurriedly stood up. Before she had gotten to the table, he opened his arms and greeted her. Was this her imagination? Was Nathan Prescott, high school bad ass asking for a hug? Max accepted his invitation and awkwardly hugged him back.

"I am so glad you actually came, I thought you were going to leave me here!" Nathan laugh as he pulled away from the hug.

"Why would I do that? That would be a terrible thing to do to anyone. Even if they almost killed you." she replied with a laugh. Nathans face went from happy to serious after she said that.

"Max, Please forgive me. I NEVER wanted to hurt anyone. I was so young and stupid. I was around the wrong people and.. and.. I am just so sorry..." his eyes started tearing up and lose tears rolled down his cheeks.

Max wasn't sure what she was doing, but she pulled him into another hug. She let him burry himself into her shoulder and cry. When he calmed down, she grabbed his arm gently and lead him out of the diner and out into the parking lot. She guided him to her car and they got in. She had no clue why she was helping him but after seeing the tears in his eyes, she couldn't help but forget his past. She forgot all of the terrible things he had done.

After he had calmed down all the way, Max finally started to ask him questions.

"Do you have anywhere to stay?" Nathan shook his head

"Do you wanna just stay with me? Until you land on your feet?" she asked.

Nathan looked at her like she was crazy.

"You would let a man who tried to kill you stay in your home?" he laughed a little. Max laughed with him.

"Why not, I let Chloe stay over all the time. No offense but she scares me a little bit more than you do." she said with a chuckle. The two of them laughed for several minutes, escaping the tense atmosphere from before. Nathan finally responded to her question from before.

"I would be forever in your debt if I could stay with you. I promise it will only be until I land back on my feet."he smiled as he finished speaking.

Max returned the friendly smile and started the car because it had gotten quite cold. As she did so she noticed Nathan had nothing with him. No clothes or bags anywhere around him. He had seriously lost everything. Max spoke up on the subject.

"Do you wanna go shopping before we go home?" she asked with a skeptical smirk on her face.

"Why would I, I have no source of income, remember" he replied sarcastically.

"We need to get you more than one set of clothes and I am sure those smell pretty bad after three days." she stated.

Nathan brought the collar of his shirt up to his nose and smelt it. His face said it all, she needed to get that boy some new clothes and some soap.