Under the Mistletoe

"Addie, can you come downstairs and help me for a second?" I hear my mom scream from downstairs. Sighing, I close my book, making sure to mark my page. This house is always chaotic. I can never find a time to settle down and finish my book. 

"Coming, mom." I called. Even though my mom annoys me sometimes, I still make sure to help her whenever she needs my help. As a single parent of 5 kids, her job is hard. My mom is a role model, because of how strong and brave she is. As the oldest child, I usually have to help her around the house so she can care for the younger ones. Some people think I help out because I'm obligated, but I really just do it because I love my family, and I love my mom. 

Running down the stairs, I step on a toy car my little 4 year old brother, Jackson left on one of the steps. Crying out in pain, I tumble down the rest of the stairs, falling flat on my face. I groan, feeling the bruises already forming. 

I get up quickly, just to see my two other brothers, 12 year old Logan and 10 year old Owen, laughing at me. I glare at them, and quickly walk to the kitchen where my mom is cooking while trying to keep Jackson away from the dangerous items. 

"Hey mom, I'm here. What do you need help on?" I asked her. She turns around, flustered and tired. I could see the crease lines on her face from stress and fatigue. 

"Hey honey, can you watch Jackson for me while I finish cooking lunch? He's playing with his toys, but it's dangerous in the kitchen." My mom asked. I nodded, and picked up Jackson, who was still playing with his truck. 

"Come on, buddy. Let's go play in the living room." I told him. 

"Thanks, Addie! Lunch will be ready in 10 minutes" I hear my mom call after me. 

I stay with Jackson as he makes truck noises while playing. After a few minutes, I get bored. Just as I'm about to close my eyes for a short nap, the doorbell rings. I look over at Jackson, who has moved on to build with bricks, and walk over to open the door. Standing before me is a tall guy, who looks around 17, which is my age. His blue eyes are the first things I see. They were a beautiful blue, like the sea, and I was stunned for a second. He was wearing a large winter coat to protect himself from the winter snow that was coming down heavily.

"Take a picture, it will last longer." He smirked, looking down at me. I was fairly tall, at 5 feet 8, but the guy was taller. I snap out of my trance, and realize that I've been staring for too long. 

I glare at him, before asking what he wants.

"Who are you and what do you want?" I ask bluntly. All of a sudden, a short and chubby old lady jumps out from behind him. I gasp in surprise, not knowing that she was there. 

"Now, that's not way to speak to my grandson, is it Addie?" Lucy says, with her hands on her hips. Lucy is our next door neighbor, who's lived in the house longer than us. She is a nice grandma, and sometimes I would treat her as my own grandma. We were that close. 

"Uh... I-I'm sorry, Lucy. I didn't know he was your grandson. Here, come in." I open the door wider, and let them in. I mentally yell at myself. How could I have been so stupid to be rude to Lucy's grandson? I always respected Lucy. I look up to see the tall guy smirk at me. I just glare at him again. Meanwhile, Lucy has made herself comfortable and is already playing with Jackson. 

"Addie, who is at the door?" My mom called from the kitchen. 

"It's Lucy, and her grandson." I call back. I hear the stove hood turn off, and my mom walks into the living room. 

"Lucy! How have you been?" My mom exclaims, giving her a hug. 

"I've been doing well. This is my grandson, Jake. He's moving in with me to finish high school here and I decided to bring him over to meet you guys and bring some of my cookies." Lucy replies. Then my mom and Lucy just sit on a couch and start talking.