Chapter 26

Chapter 26 - Driving Me Crazy

It was summertime and Nebbie and her dad were at the gym. Nebbie has been working out all sophomore year while incorporating a steady diet. She went for 243 pounds to 181 pounds. Her goal of 165 is closer than she thought. Although she is losing weight, she is not gaining in confidence. Nebbie was on the treadmill while her dad was on another treadmill.

"Hey when we leave. Can I drive us home?" Nebbie asked.

"No," Her dad, Nick, said.

"But dad I'm taking my test tomorrow," Nebbie said.

"I understand but you not finna ruin my baby," Nick said.

"But I'm your baby," Nebbie pleaded.

"You are sweetie but..." Nick began until he saw Nebbie giving her famous 'daddy please' look, "Alright fine but if your wreck my car I'm taking over." He handed her the key and she took with pleasure.

They left the gym and Nebbie took the driver's seat while her dad took the passenger side. Nebbie put on her seatbelt, started the car, shifted the gear to drive, and stepped on the gas pedal. She drove off at a slow pace.

"Nebbe we are not in a school zone go a little bit faster," Nick said.

"I'm trying," Nebbie said. She picked up some speed while turning. The gym wasn't far from home but Nebbie felt like she was driving miles and miles.

"Watch out for the curb, Nebbie!" Nick yelled.

"Stop yelling!" Nebbie yelled.

"Nebbie you were going to hit the curb!"

"I couldn't see!" Nebbie was 5'3 and her seat was so low she thought she missed the curb but she came up on it a little.

Shortly afterward Nebbie ended up at home safely and she parked in the garage all crocked. Nebbie and her dad got out the car.

"So do you think I'm ready tomorrow?" Nebbie asked her dad.

"Uh...you want something to eat?" Nick asked he said while walking into the house. Nebbie sighed she has been trying to drive but for some reason she just couldn't get it right.

❀❀❀

Nebbie was getting ready to take the test for the first time. Her hands on the wheel and the driver's instructors had his clipboard.

"Start the car," The instructor instructed. Nebbie did what he told her to do. She started off good. She avoided the cones and made perfect turns.

"Am I doing good?" Nebbie asked the instructor.

"Eyes on the road. You can't be distracted on the road," The instructor said, "Now we go through a series of parking." Uh Oh Nebbie thought. Parking was what she really struggled with.

Veronica, Nebbie's mom, was waiting on her daughter. She hoped that her daughter got her license but deep down she knew that her baby was just not ready. Nebbie came out the door and her face expressed sadness. Veronica came up to Nebbie and gave her a hug.

"Aww Nebbie it's okay don't cry. You can always take the test again," Veronica said.

"But Mommy..." Nebbie whined. She was upset she didn't pass her test. She really wanted to come out happy and pass the test but couldn't. She cried on her mom and whined. The parking messed her up. She ruined the car trying to parallel park.

"C'mon let's go shopping and then afterwards we can go eat," Veronica said. Nebbie let go of her mom and she wiped her tears.

"Ok," Nebbie said tearfully.