Free At Last

Max was sitting in the living room of her apartment editing her new photo set when the phone rang. She was reluctant to answer, as the last few calls have been from Chloe prank calling her. Sighing, she stood up and went over to the table where the phone sat.

"This is what you get for saving someones life I guess." she mumbled to herself.

She answered the phone as she usually does, but with a slight hint of annoyance in her tone.

"Hello?"

"Is this Maxine Caulfield?" The strangers voice surprised her when it was not Chloe's.

"Yes it is. How may I help you?" she asked

"It is Nathan, from Blackwell. Remember me?"

His voice was timid, almost like he was scared. Not to mention his voice had changed dramatically and had dropped in pitch. Max was curious why Nathan was calling her after all these years. He had been put in prison for attempted murder.

(flash back)

Max focused hard on the picture of a butterfly. Her vision blurred and her head ached, but she had to do it to save everybody. When her vision cleared she was crouched behind the stall and heard the familiar voices in mid argument. She had heard this argument so many times before yet this time it felt strange as she knew what would happen if she didn't act soon. She waited for the familiar words to be said before lunging at Nathans hand and covering Chloe. She heard a loud bang and a sharp pain, but that was it. She woke up in the hospital a few hours later with Chloe at her side in tears.Every one was okay...

(end of flash back)

"Yes, quite well actually. What do you want?" she asked with a tinge of bitterness.

Max had forgiven him seeing as Nathan was dealing with a lot at the time, but it is still not ok to shoot people.

"Well, umm... I was wondering..." he stuttered."..if you could come pick me up."

Max was confused to say the least. Why had he called her out of all of the other people he knew? She got caught up in her thoughts and realized she had not responded to him yet. She thought for a moment more before she made up her mind on what to say.

"First of all, where are you? Secondly, why me?" she asked.

"I am out at the Two Whales Diner. I figure if I am gonna make someone come all the out here I may as well treat them to lunch. Also, the reason I called you was because... well... put it this way. You are the last person left. You are my last hope for a ride. My parents took my car back and don't want to hear from me again. I have no job and whats left of my college funds to spend. Please Max, I know I fucked up-" he was inturrupted by someone taking the phone.

"Max its me, Joyce."

Max was really taken aback by her sudden interjection, but was also very happy to hear from Joyce again. It had been months since she had last visited her and Mr. Madsen. Ever since Chloe moved in with her new girlfriend, Brooke, she has forgotten about some of her other good friends back in Arcadia Bay.

"Max, this boy has been sitting in the cafe for the last three days, and I will be the first to say he has changed. He has changed for the better, he is so sweet. Please, do me a favor and help him out."

Joyce has never asked Max to do anything other than look out for Chloe. This made Max understand the intensity of the situation. If sweet, kind Joyce says he has changed, then Max had no choice but to believe her.

"Of course, Joyce. Anything for an old friend. Tell him I will be there in about an hour." Max replied.

"Sure thing sweety." then she hung up.

Max started walking to her bedroom to change out of her pajamas.

"Well, time for a road trip I guess..."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AN: this is the first chapter and hopefully the next will be up soon too. also i know this ship is not liked very much in the LiS community but i think Nathan deserves a second chance. Also credit to the idea of Max taking a bullet for chloe to the tumblr post i saw with the drawing of it.