Chapter 7

*new, unedited

Chapter 7

It had been exactly six days since Abigail found out that she was not a child of the Ross, but rather their niece. Despite her struggle to try and remember the past, she could not remember anything at all.

Abby remembered that night clearly every emotion - and painfully- as her aunt and uncle divulge the secret they have been keeping for many years.

It was denial that she first remembered feeling. She thought it must be a horrible joke that she was adopted, and that her real parents were dead. She remembered covering her face as she bawled her eyes out.

Then, it was sorrow she felt for the  strangers for a couple of reason: first, he would never have the chance to meet them; and lastly, because she could remember a single piece of memory about them. But despite that, she felt in her heart that they were once relevant in her life.

Then sorrow was replaced by anger. Venomous words started flowing from her quivering lips. She remembered something along the lines of "Why the hell would you keep this from me? Did you ever stopped to think how you had hurt me more by not telling me this sooner? Did you even love me?"

Of course she stunned herself. Never did she imagine that she would ever talk to her parents that way and not be seriously reprimanded. Instead they kept quiet and took all of her hurtful questions.

"It was the best option for you and for all of us, Abigail," Blake responded, in a haunted voice. But instead of questioning why it had been the best option, she stormed out of the kitchen into her bedroom. She remembered curling into a ball and crying herself to sleep. She  was not ready at all, to face the tortuous truth of reality.

There were no further discussion than that. After that night Blake and Josephine had strategically avoided her by diligently tending to their work, almost never home.

Ashton on the other hand had began telling her bits of information that she still could not wrap her head around.

"Monsters are real," she remembered him saying one night as they prowl the quiet neighbourhood. Abby shivered at the memory of the beast's wild eyes.

"They are everywhere, and despite what you may think, most of them are quite harmless; at least they used to be. Some of them follow a certain faction that go back millennia than threatens the very existence of the normal. Either they did so voluntarily or not, the point is, they are repurposed to bring chaos," he sighed at the dreary thought remembering many encounters where he almost lost his life.

"Our kind, our role is to keep these threats at bay," Ashton added, but before Abby could ask about what he meant by 'our kind,' Ashton made it clear that he could not tell her more even though he wants to. "Beyond this, I cannot tell you more. I think I have said enough."

Ashton never talked to Abigail about anything regarding the odd occurances that happened. 

And six days after their rather eventful arrival in Washington, she found her bags packed at the foyer, and she-along with Ashton and the man called Kane, Elizabeth left in the care of their parents- was shipped off to Canada, with no explanation from her guardians, other than a simple sentence:

"We truly do love you."

Somehow, it gave her a little comfort.

Abigail sat at the backseat of the car, a blank expression on her face. They had been driving for almost two hours since they landed from the airport. From what Abby could tell, they are now far away from civilization and it made her wonder where exactly they were heading. Enormous trees lined up the side of the deserted road. She has not seen a single car pass for the passed hour. It made her uneasy.