She Stumbled Into Faith

"Here we are, Ab." My father sighed, "I swear, this mountain gets prettier and prettier every time we visit."

I giggled. Dad wasn't wrong. This mountain is great!

My mother set out the blanket, before falling backward onto it. She laughed quietly.

"The rumors about this mountain... They must be to keep people away from its glowing beauty."

My father chimed in.

"Yeah. Climbing a mountain and never returning? Please. That's ridiculous!" he chuckled.

Dad set the basket down next to Mom's feet, and plopped down next to her.

"Abby, how's about you go pick some flowers while we set this thing up, eh?" My mother suggested.

I nodded quickly, and darted up the side of the mountain.

By now, I had already known the best place to find flowers. We come here all the time, after all.

I bounded over many cracks and rocks, racing against my shadow. I took one final leap, before I had made it. The pretty patch of yellow flowers surrounded me. I grinned at the sight of their shining colors.

I reached down at the first flower I saw, and began singing a lullaby Mom always sang.

"Golden slumbers fill your eyes.

Smiles await you when you rise.

Sleep my darling, do not cry.

I will sing a lullaby."

I had a handful of flowers, now. I continued to sing.

"Golden slumbers fill your eyes..."

I picked many more flowers, until I heard a voice. A quiet, jolly voice.

"Golly! You sing so well, I really can't get enough of it." it cheered.

"W-who was that?" I turned slowly, remaining cautious.

"It's me, Flowey the Flower! You wanna be my friend?"

The voice belonged to a little yellow flower. He had a big smile, and he was really cute, but...

"Sorry, but Mommy said not to talk to strangers..." I backed away, dropping the flowers.

"Oh, silly! Do I look strange? I just wanna play with you! Besides, what are friends for?" He chuckled, and smiled at me.

"I guess you're right. You do seem really nice." I grinned softly.

This flower did seem really happy and kind. Momma wouldn't mind me talking to strangers, just this once, would she?

"That's great! Now, how about I tell you a secret?" he grinned, as the sky seemed to get darker.

"Secret?" I was always one for surprises and secrets.

"Of course! The secret to friendship. Now, come closer, so only you can hear."

I took a step closer. He seemed awfully close to a big, black abyss. It's okay, though. Flowey wouldn't let me fall, right?

"Closer, pal."

I took a few steps closer. Boy, was it getting colder?

"A little closer..."

I was right on the edge of the cliff.

"P E R F E C T."

Flowey's smile turned into a wicked grin. He unleashed many vines - some traveling underground. I tried to call out for my parents, but I was frozen in fear. I really couldn't move.

"SEE YOU NEVER, P A L."

He nudged me, slightly, causing me to trip. I was falling, and soon, I was completely surrounded by darkness.