She Took A Step.

"Verdi? Wake up! The sun is up, so you should be up!"

I opened my eyes slowly, and my gaze met up with Pap's. Oh yeah! I forgot. I have brothers now.

I groaned and squirmed a little, before the top of my head bumped against something. The bump made a rather satisfying sound. Kinda like when you hit two wooden blocks together, but not quite. The bump was followed with another groan, but not mine. It was Sansy's.

I opened my eyes completely now, and lifted up my head. I had fallen asleep on Sans' shoulder, and may or may not have woken him up. Oopsie Doopsie!

"Sis? What was that for?" Sans mumbled.

"Hehe! Sorry! I forgot you were there."

"Nah, it's okay. I forgot you were there, too."

"HELLO?! AM I INVISIBLE?!" Pap shouted.

Sans and I snapped out of our small talk and looked down over the side of the bed to see an upset, pajama-wearing skeleton.

"Pap, I'm sorry. I just woke up and I'm super duper tired still. Why did you wake us up so early? And... How is there sunshine underground?" I asked.

"I dunno. But, I smelled pancakes! A young skeleton, like me, always recognizes the smell of yummy breakfast! Besides, I didn't wanna go downstairs without you, Verdi." Pap grinned.

Why is my brother so cute? Jeez. I wish I could be this cute...

"Hey, what about me? You didn't wanna leave me behind, did ya?"

"Oh Sans, I really thought you will still be sleeping."

"Heh. True."

After a little more chatter, and some much-needed persuasion to get out of bed, my brothers and I trampled down the stairs. As soon as we reached the bottom, my nose was flooded with smells of fresh hotcakes and syrup. It was at that very moment that I realized... I was starving! It had been forever ago since I had eaten anything.

I raced ahead of my fellow skeleton brothers and zoomed into the kitchen, hoping to be fed as quickly as possible.

"Well well well! Who do we have here? Good morning, Verdana!" Gaster greeted me, kindly.

"Hello, Mr. Gaster."

I grinned up at him, before hearing the sound of two pairs of shuffling feet entering the kitchen behind me.

"Mornin' Dad." Sans yawned.

"Hello, loving father!" Papy greeted.

They both pushed past me, hopping up onto seats at a wooden dinner table.

"Won't you join them, Verdi?" Gaster said, putting emphasis on my nickname.

What a goofball. He's using Pap's nickname for me! I like the way it sounds in his voice. I nodded at him, walking up to the table and sitting right next to Sans, and right across from Papyrus. There were six seats at the table, so I guess once Gaster and Lucy sit down, there would be an extra chair.

"Where's Momma?" Pap asked, stretching against the back of his chair.

"Oh, Lucida will be joining us late, today. She was so excited about Verdana's appearance that she simply couldn't go to sleep. So, I'm letting her rest."

Me, Sans, and Papyrus all ohhh-ed at the same time.

After a little while, Gaster had placed a plate of steaming pancakes on the table and allowed us to dig in. He was a really good cook! I swung my feet under the table in glee, my heels hitting the legs of the chair in an infallible pattern. Little did I know that this chair would become the seat I sat in everyday....

TIME SKIP

It has been multiple weeks since I first had breakfast in my new home, and I had gotten much more comfortable around my new family.

This morning, I was not the first into the kitchen, but the third.

"Good morning, Dad!" Sans said.

"Hello, Dad!" Papyrus greeted.

"Morning, Papa!" I hummed.

"Mornin' Mom."

"Greetings, Mother!"

"Hey, Mama." I sang.

I had been calling them by their proper names for a few weeks, and it didn't feel right anymore. So, I had started calling them what they should be called: Mama and Papa.

They were my parents after all, so why not call them what they deserve to be called?

A/N

Howdy, guys!

Sorry for the short update! I had to make this one shorter, to make the next chapter more proper. I'm so glad so many of you are enjoying the book! I have big plans for it. Well, that's all for now.

Love,

_blankpages_ ;D