Freezing (Ikarishipping)

"Are we almost at Snowpoint?" Barry asked for the one-hundredth time.

 "For the last time, No!" Paul scowled. "Why don't we play the quiet game, huh?"

 "Okay!" Barry shouted. He walked alongside his mentor with a huge smile splitting his face in half. Paul sighed softly, thanking Arceus for a moment of peace. He closed his eyes, feeling the snow lightly hit his jacket and let his instincts lead him in the direction of Snowpoint. "You're not as bad as everyone says you are," Barry said aloud to his idol, Paul.

 "I'm guessing you don't know the rules of the quiet game, do you?" Paul opened an eye, peeking at the annoyingly hyperactive blonde. Why did I agree to let him follow me around? Paul wondered.

 Oh yeah, because of Troublesome. She had managed to get under his skin about giving people and pokemon chances, including Barry. Then, he processed what the blond had said, and heard the word, everyone. Not that he was the least bit curious in what Barry said, but he caught himself wondering if Troublesome was one of those people.

 As if Barry read his mind, he continued, "Even Dawn thinks you're a good guy. She told me that when she asked about you."

 Paul tsked softly underneath his breath and frowned, onyx eyes glaring at the snow-covered road in front of them. His fists curled at his sides, but he didn't necessarily know why. "You talked to her?"

 "Yeah, ever since Ash left, she's been either hanging out with me or this tiny guy - I think his name was Penny? I don't know. I bet Ash left because he knew that he could never be better than you, right?" Barry asked, stars lighting up in his eyes.

 Paul rolled his eyes. He was going to mention that he lost to Ash before when he noticed a girl walking in front of them. A girl with long blue hair and a short pink skirt. A girl that caused his heart to race without facing him. But, why was she out here without a jacket?

 "Speaking of Dawn," Barry said with a smile, looking at the sole person of Paul's attention. "Dawn! Hey, Dawn! Turn around!"

 Paul glared at Barry for a moment and thought about leaving him out here in the cold to fend for himself. Then, he thought against it because as soon as Dawn turned around, their eyes met. Before he could see her smile, he looked away and focused on the weather.

 "Hey, guys!" Dawn shouted, and ran to the duo. "I didn't expect to see you around here!"

 "Paul wanted to catch some pokemon along the way to Snowpoint. We heard that there was an extremely rare pokemon in the cave there," Barry said.

 "What about you, Troublesome?" Paul asked, focusing on Dawn again.

 Dawn pouted at the nickname. "I was going to surprise Candice with a visit."

 "Aren't you cold?" Paul asked.

 "Of course not," Dawn scoffed, but then she smiled. "Is it me or do you actually sound like you care about me?"

 Paul turned away. "Hmph. Don't get your hopes up. I rather you not die out here from hypothermia and me having to live with the guilt."

 "So you do care!" Dawn yelled, following after him.

 Barry smiled at the two, but then he sweatdropped. If it was me, I think Paul would've willingly left me here to die, Barry thought.

 The trio continued to walk until Barry began to shudder and fold his arms against his chest. "Why i-is it s-s-so c-cold?"

 "Because it gets colder at night," Paul responded.

 "I-I'm t-tired." Barry groaned.

 "Me too," Dawn agreed.

 Paul notices a small cave in the cliff towards their right. He looked above, sparing a look at the dark skies. Realizing that the wind picked up speed and the shiver that coursed through Dawn, he decided on what to do.

 "Fine," he sighed. "Let's rest there for the night."

 He led the group to the cave where he had Magmortar set up a fire to give them all some warmth. Dawn and Barry had parted their ways to head to sleep, leaving Paul to his thoughts. He watched the fire closely, wondering why he cared so much about Dawn. If it was anyone else, including the boneheaded Ash, he would've continued to trudge through the snow until they reached their destination.

 Maybe it was because she was a girl. He was a cold, calloused person, but he was still respectful to girls. Yes, that's it.

 Paul sighed. Who was he fooling? That definitely wasn't the reason.

 "Hey, why are you still up?"

 Paul frowned. He didn't need her to show up while his thoughts were all jumbled up. He noticed that she sat by him and eyed the fire. "Thinking. I thought you were going to sleep."

 "Couldn't fall asleep, either," Dawn said. Paul could sense that there was something else on her mind.

 He glanced at her from the corner of his eye, wondering what was going on in her mind when he noticed her shiver. Almost as a way to confirm his theory, she sneezed. Ah, so she is cold, he mused.

 "Why didn't you bring a jacket?" He asked.

 Dawn knew she was caught. She sighed aloud and shivered again. "I forgot it."

 Paul pinched the bridge of his nose. "That's so typical of you, Troublesome. You're heading to the coldest place in the Sinnoh region without a jacket?" He sighed, and threw a glance at Barry to make sure he was still asleep.

 Dawn stared at the ground. She expected his reaction to be like this, but she didn't want to be viewed as a moron in Paul's eyes. All of a sudden, a jacket was thrown around her shoulders. She looked up, blushing furiously as she saw Paul spare a look at her in only a long sleeved shirt.

 "Next time, don't forget your jacket," he mumbled.

 Dawn smiled gratefully at him and hugged him. His face burned with redness as Dawn leaned her head against his shoulder. "Thanks, Paul!"

 "Hn. Whatever."

 He would never admit it out loud, but he'd always be good to Dawn. A small smile formed on his face. She was his Troublesome after all, even if he didn't know it yet.  

_____ (A/N)_____

Hey, amazing people out there!

I hope you enjoyed this even though, personally, I felt like it was missing something. Anyways, if anyone wants a specific pairing, don't be afraid to ask. I won't bite.

Thank you for all your support! Keep adventuring!