Chapter 1 "The woods"

Chapter 1

16 years later.

Max quite!!!! If father finds us out here he will kill me!!!" I pull the string of my bow, and smack goes the arrow into the tree. I never miss. I have been shooting ever since I was a child. My father has always disapproved of my skill. My mother was the one who taught me. She was a commoner before she married father, she loved shooting. But ever since she passed away father has forbidden it.

"Alexandra! Where are you! Father is very cross!!"

That's my big brother Louis. He is such a daddy's boy. It's always father this and father that. He doesn't understand my urge to shoot. In fact know one does.

"Alexandra! If you are out here shooting again I swear father will lock you in a tower and leave you there to rot!!!"

I slapped Max and he ran into a gallop the opposite direction of me. I started climbing the nearest tree. I pull the string of my bow and point it to the tree right in front of my brother. Smack! It goes straight in the exact place he was going to stand. You should have seen the look on his face!!!! He looked like he had just seen a dragon! I love teasing him.

" Pea brain! Do you need glasses??? Cause I am over here!!"

I whistle and max leaps beneath me and I jumped off the tree and on to his back. We hurried back so that Louis wouldn't see us. When we got home I put max in the stables and climbed up the vine that leads to my room. I pulled the curtains back and jumped in my bed just as I heard a knock.

"Alexandra may I come in?" said a strong firm voice.

"Yes. You can."

A big man comes in. He is cross looking and is a bit round in the belly.

"Alexandra you have dirt on your face. Have you been out shooting again?"

"Possibly. But it is a bit hard when you lock my doors. I can't go anywhere without a servant or a guard!"

He walked over to the window and there was fresh mud smeared across the side.

"Alexandra! You have been out again! You know how feel about you going out on your own!"

"I wasn't alone. I had Max with me."

"A horse! You are princess why don't you act like one!"

Yup, I know what your thinking. I'm a princess. And the big guy is my dad. He's the king. You would think a princess could do whatever she wants. But apparently I can't. Once I got the magician to teach me some tricks. That was foiled by my tattle tale brother. And after my mother passed away I carved my own bow, it took a while but I had some help from the weapon master. But someone always finds out. People always call me the trouble maker and the fake princess. Now I have guards at every door.

"Alexandra are you even listening to me?"

"Call me Alex. Mother did. She always was there for me."

"Now Alexandra I just don't want to lose you like I lost your mother. I don't want to hear anymore about you sneaking out. I don't want to have to put bars on your windows. I will see you at dinner."

As he walks out I collapse on my bed into a deep sleep.