Chapter 2 - Done Taking Breaks

Michonne walked into the kitchen to find Rick aimlessly looking around, opening and closing drawers.

"Thank you," Rick told her, "I heard him laughing in there. Almost forgot what that sounds like."

He looked up at Michonne, leaning against the counter by the door.

"I can't be his father and his best friend. He needs you," Rick said.

He'd wanted to say those words for weeks now, every time Michonne left the prison by herself armed with a new plan to search for the Governor, smiling and promising to bring back treats.

Things were better when she was around. When she rode off on each new mission, Carl would be disappointed and lonely for days. Rick noticed but he kept quiet. It wasn't his place to ask her to stay.

Things are different now. I'm just short of asking her to be part of my family now. What if she doesn't want that?

"Now, I know that's a lot to throw at you, so if you're ever feeling that you need a break-"

"I'm done taking breaks," Michonne interrupted, holding his eyes for a long moment. There was a sense of finality to her tone.

I'm done running off. I'm done walking around like a dead person. Like Daryl says, nobody can make it on their own anymore.

Rick broke her gaze. He rummaged in a drawer, fiddled with a pair of kitchen scissors.

"So what's the plan? This place, is it home?" Michonne asked, "Or just a stop along the way?"

Plan? I don't have any kind of plan. Rick was unprepared to make that decision.

"Well, let's just stay here while we figure it out," was the best answer he could come up with.

"Alright," Michonne agreed, "We'll need some more supplies. I'll take Carl and get some."

She started to turn and go.

"I'll come too," Rick said, stopping her before she even got to the doorway.

"You were unconscious yesterday," Michonne said pointedly.

"Well I'm awake today," he protested.

"We need you strong. Just rest," Michonne told him gently, "just one more day."

Rick gave in. He watched her turn and walk down the hallway to find Carl. The idea of being left behind didn't sit well with him but he knew she was right.

It was a relief to be able to share the role of protector. More than that, it was nice to have someone to care for him, to tell him to rest.

...............................

Michonne and Carl made a good team. Together they cleared three houses, only coming across a handful of walkers which were quickly dispatched. Michonne made sure she was through the door first each time, telling Carl that he needed to save his bullets while he could.

She was almost surprised to find herself telling Carl about Andre, but it felt like the right thing to do. It was the right moment. He needs to know he's not alone.

"Come on, it's almost noon. Your dad will worry if we're not back soon," Michonne said and the two began to make their way through the house.

"Whoa! What's that?" Carl stopped short, pointing out a window into the backyard.

"Looks like a helicopter crash," Michonne said, peering through the dirty window.

"Was it a police helicopter?" Carl asked curiously. Once, in second grade, his dad had let him sit in a police helicopter on take-your-child-to-work day.

"Med evac, I think," Michonne said, "We should check it out."

The yard was pretty overgrown and there were a few large tree branches in around the wreckage.

"No, look," Carl said, pointing, "Walkers."

Sure enough, barely visible from their window were a couple decomposing walkers moving slowly about the yard.

"Let's go upstairs to get a better look," Michonne whispered and they moved quietly into the hall and climbed the stairs to the second floor. They'd already cleared the rooms but had paid little attention to the windows.

"They haven't noticed us," Michonne said, assessing the threat, "I count four. No, five."

Sections of the formerly white picket fence had fallen down. One of the walkers wore a flight helmet, and another the shredded remains of an EMT jacket, but the others had probably wandered into the yard and gotten stuck there, shuffling around in endless circles. They did that sometimes.

"There's too many," Carl said, turning away from the window, "Michonne, come on, let's go back."

"Hold up," Michonne said slowly, "...I have a plan."

Carl paused at the top of the stairs, waiting.

"Remember that day we were in your old neighborhood, and we went into that restaurant to get your picture frame?"

"Yeah," Carl said. Now that picture was gone. He'd never see it again.

"We'll do it like that. You stand here at the window and make some noise to distract the walkers, meanwhile-"

"You sneak around behind them and grab the stuff? But won't it take a while to look around? They'll notice you for sure," Carl said, frowning.

"I'll have to cut them down first, and then we can look for any medical supplies," Michonne explained.

"What kind of plan is that?" Carl was growing more incredulous. Why does she want to go out there by herself? This is hardly the same as the photo mission.

"Listen, you stay here, give me a couple minutes go make my way around the side to where the fence is down over there," Michonne pointed, "then you start yelling and get the walkers to come towards the house. Then I'll go in and kill them with my sword."

"It's perfect, Carl. Only a few walkers, a nice open space, and if I catch them unawares..."

"Are you sure?" he asked.

Michonne nodded seriously. "Plus you'll be here to act as my lookout. If it starts to go bad, I'll yell. How many bullets do you have left?"

"Two in my dad's gun, one in mine," he replied, looking up at her with a worried expression.

"Trust me. I can do this," she said, then added, "I've done it before."

Carl sighed. "Okay. If you're sure, then we'll do it."

Dad said to follow her lead. I can shoot three walkers, easy. Then she'll only have to fight two by herself... This better be worth it.

Michonne opened the window slowly so it wouldn't squeak. The screen was torn.

"Give me about three minutes to get over there, then yell for the walkers, okay?" Michonne gave one last instruction as Carl checked his dad's gun, "Remember, don't shoot unless you absolutely have to. Only if I yell for you."

Michonne gave him a reassuring smile.

"Got it," Carl said and returned her smile. He was still a bit worried, but he was also excited. After all, most of his dad's plans were at least twice as crazy as this.

With that, the plan was set in motion.