Interlude: Loss

A/N: Hello everyone! Long time, I know. I've been so busy lately with school and rewriting this story that I've put off rewatching the last episode of Season two of Robin Hood. Why is that? Let me tell you. Many people have been wondering what happened in the Holy land to leave both Marian and Richard dead. Well, ask and you shall receive. Since Betrayal takes place a few years after Season two ends (I know, it was only a few months that passed at the start of season 3) so I wanted to follow what happened in the last episode so that when it came to the deaths, I could alter it so that it would fit with the show. The Shadow Hunter Trilogy (Betrayal being book #1!) is supposed to replace Season 3. That of course means that there's no Kate, and no Tuck. Other characters from season 3 may show up but in a different way... That's all I can say ;)

Also, since I was going directly off the episode (with some changes to fit the story) the story switches characters a lot. I apologize about this and hope you will bear with me. This chapter isn't my best work, I'll admit that, but the whole point was to show what happened to Marian and the King.

So now, without further ado, here's the flashback of what happened in Acre! Enjoy!

Five Years Ago in Acre...

Vaisley, his two hired assailants, the rogue crusader, and Gisborne tear through broken archway into the city with Robin's gang and the King in pursuit. Nearing the center, Vaisley pulls up on his reins and slows his horse to a stop. "Stay here" He points to one of the assassins. "We can still get the King." He then points to the rogue and other assailant. "You two, " He calls pointing off in the distance, "over there!" The three of them quickly dismount and disperse to their positions as Vaisley turns to look at Guy. "Gisborne! With me!" They ride off just as Richard and Carter catch sight and start after them. The imposter off to the side aims his crossbow at the King when Much rides up quickly behind the King. The imposter shoots and barley misses him but spooks the horse. Much dodges the bolt and leans too far to the side causing both him and the horse to fall over. He quickly scrambles away as the horse gets back on its feet just as Robin approaches.

Robin dismounts and ducks behind some sacks next to Much. "This is a trap..." Robin says, quickly looking around. He turns to look at his friend. "Are you alright?"

Still in shock, Much nods. "Yeah."

The imposter scowls as he grabs his crossbow and flees as Robin looks around once more, alarmed. "Where's the King?"

"He went after the sheriff!" Much replies. Hearing somebody behind him, Robin turns to see that he's joined by Marian.

"We need to get him out of here..."Robin says as they all look around for the assailant. "NOW!" Much unsheathes his sword as Robin jumps up and runs in the direction Much said the King went. He turns the corner and passes the assailant whom is hiding out in a nearby holding. Seeing Robin run past him, he scowls and silently leaves his hiding place.

Vaisley and Gisborne stand behind a corner. Gisborne nocks an arrow as he peers around the corner to find his target while Vaisley watches behind them. "Keep them pinned down." He says. "I'll go round the back." Vaisley sneaks off as Guy steps forward and raises his bow. He waits until he sees a blonde head peek out from the pillar ahead of him and shoots. Carter ducks behind the pillar as the arrow whizzes past. He looks over at the King who is still mounted on his horse. "Quickly. You must get out of here." He gives the King a nod. "Leave them to me."

Richard rides off and Carter unsheathes his sword and makes a mad dash after Gisborne. He stops as he sees him running away and round a corner, disappearing from his sight.

Alan, Will, Djaq and John run between the dwellings only to stop and look around for any sign of the King or Robin. "This is not right." John frowns. "Split up!"