Chapter Four: Origins Revealed Part I

COPYRIGHTED.

Playing Games with an Alpha

Chapter Four: Origins Revealed Part I

All Paisley ever wanted in life was to know where she came from. Who disowned her by leaving her on someone's doorstep? Did no one really love her? How in the hell could she turn into a wolf? Were there others like her? If so, are the others dangerous? The questions continued endlessly.

After leaving the diner with Ben and Eleanor she felt like she would finally get some answers. She only had to wait eighteen years. She didn't think the old couple would know anything about her parents, but from what she heard so far they knew something. Hell, they might have information on her 'unique ability' for all she knew.

One word that kept replaying in her mind was Alpha. It sounded similar, it sounded important. She knew from biology class that an Alpha was a pack leader. No one messed with the Alpha. But that was a term for wolves and dogs not humans. And this is what churned Paisley's mind so rapidly. She was a wolf. If there were others, would they follow an Alpha leader?

All of her unanswered questions were beginning to give her a headache. She leaned against the window frame of the car. After getting the food to go, no one said a word. An awkward silence floated around inside of Ben's old truck. She watched him glance back at her through the rear view mirror every couple of seconds. It seemed like he thought she was going to jump out of the car or something. But Paisley wouldn't do that. In the short day she'd been in Southfalls she was already growing a soft spot for the old couple and they had answers she yearned for.

Looking up, Paisley finally broke the silence. "So is anyone going to tell me what those guys were talking about? And how I suddenly became your granddaughter?"

Ben ignored her question, "We are almost home."

"Home? I thought we were going back to the motel?" Paisley questioned.

"The motel isn't the best place for talking, especially with keen ears everywhere." Eleanor spoke up in what seemed life forever.

Five minutes later they pulled up to a small house, woods just like the rest of the town surrounded it. Seeing the wide-open terrain made Paisley's skin crawl. See hadn't phased in over two weeks and when she put it off she received what felt like growing pains. Her bones and muscles would ache for the change. With everything going on right now she desperately needed to phase. The voice can communicate with her when she phases but when she hasn't done it in a while she receives massive headaches from her trying to talk.

Rubbing her temples, Paisley tried to ease her headache. So much happened in one day, it was too exhausting to deal with.

Ben opened the car door for her and she followed the couple inside. While Ben jingled the lock open, Paisley took the time to glance up at the stars. She used to lay out with Danny on their hammock and watch the stars all night long whenever Loretta was gone. She missed Danny so much already. She'd need to remember to call him in the morning. Loretta was probably having a hard time putting him down to bed, which was Paisley's job. The thought of Danny crying made Paisley sad but thinking of Loretta having to deal with a whining child made her snicker.

Eleanor ushered Paisley inside. The house held a warm glow with its old rustic feel. Ben went to dinning room to set down the food while Eleanor went to make some tea. Walking down the hallway Paisley observed all the photographs hanging on the walls. Kids, old and young, smiling happily covered the chipped floral walls. Younger versions of Ben and Eleanor were pictured as well. It made Paisley's heart ache. They all looked so cheerful together. They had the one thing Paisley never had, a family.

Picking up a frame, Paisley smiled at the four kids surrounding Ben. Two little boys and two little girls were all trying to dog pile on top of Benjamin. He looked carefree and simply contented. He was also very young so the picture had to be at least thirty years old.

Paisley didn't realize how emotional the pictures were making her. A single tear glided down her cheek. She never cried. Paisley was too strong to let anyone see how much pain she was in. She liked to hide her emotions; she never wanted to burden anyone else. She was too kind hearted.

"Are you alright dear?" Eleanor came up behind her.

"Yes of course. Of course." Paisley quickly wiped the tear away. "I'm fine. You have a beautiful family," Paisley held out the frame.

Eleanor smiled and took the frame, "I do don't I? What about you dear? Where is your family?"

"I guess that's one of the things we'll discuss." Ben said coming out of nowhere. "I set out some plates and silver wear we should eat. We have a butt load of things to discuss."

The two women nodded and followed Ben to the dining room. Paisley wasn't in the mood to eat anymore. No one really was, but they picked at their food anyway. A good fifteen minutes past and no one said anything.

"What's an alpha?" Paisley spoke up.

Ben sighed. He wanted to tell the girl everything but if she wasn't who she said she was, there could be repercussions on both of their parts. Alpha Asher is kind, but he is an Alpha. "Before I let everything out, I need you to be honest with me Paisley. Can you promise me that? Your complete honesty?"

She pondered for a moment. Her trust was hard to gain. She grew up relying completely on herself and no one else. Could she trust Benjamin and Eleanor? Her instincts told her she could and so far they've never been wrong.

"Yes. Ben, you can trust me."

"Good, you can trust us my dear. If there's one thing I can promise in life, it is my word." Paisley beamed at that. She loved the thought of having someone to put her faith in.

Ben looked her dead in the eyes. "First things first. Do you know what you are?"

She gulped. This could be a trick question. Paisley was a lot of things. She was clever, reliable, compassionate, yet she had a feeling that Ben wasn't talking about personality traits.

"Promise me you won't think I'm crazy." She gulped.

"I've seen a lot of crazy things and have known a lot of crazy people my dear. I promise you are not crazy and never will be in my eyes." He looked honest and sincere, as did Eleanor. Maybe life was finally handing Paisley some people to rely on. If this was her shot, she was determined to take it.

"Well, honest to God, I think I am a werewolf."

Okay so its past 1:00 A.M. and I'm still writing! I know its short!! Some readers wanted the next chapter really bad to I posted it early well I guess kind of early because it's now Thursday. I usually don't like parts of a chapter but I'm doing it this time so next ch will be CH 5 but part II of Origins Revealed. I'll try to write more tomorrow after work and post another chapter. Thanks for all the comments and votes! Please share my story with others if you like it! I want everyone to have the chance to enjoy it! I set vote goals for early updates not regular ones. I'm not going to stop posting because I don't get a certain amount of votes. That's just plain mean. So for those who comment and say I'm "desperate" I just want my story to be successful and hopefully popular. Can you blame me? #Sorrynotsorry! Anyways enjoy, VOTE, COMMENT, SHARE, FOLLOW!

XOXO,

Hailey

Playing Games with an Alphaजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें