51) Focusing on the Right Things

Hi everyone! Welcome to a (rather later than expected) new part to 100 Things You Should Know About Writing

And of course, I'm going to start off breaking my own rules by getting right back into things you need to know in order to survive as a writer. Part 3 is supposed to focus more on technique, and it will, but first, I thought I'd address this very important thing. 

I don't know if it's because of the time of year. I realize that as we enter the final quarter, people start getting tired, and they start realizing that no, they won't have time to achieve everything they'd set out to do in the year. 

It happens to the best of us, but almost as soon as October came, so did a whole host of negative introspection by a lot of writers I know and on Wattpad. Not that I can judge, because last year around this time, I went through pretty much the same thing. (Except at the time, I didn't have good access to the internet, so I didn't really give it voice.)

The introspection takes many forms, but usually it has to do with some sort of expectation that reality didn't live up to:

I wanted to be published/agented but no one's interested in my book. 

I wanted to be a best selling author but the books just aren't selling like they're supposed to. 

I wanted to publish this year, but I ran out of time or life conspired to prevent me from getting everything together. 

I wanted a million Wattpad readers but no one's paying my book any attention.

And on, and on. With that come the same questions again and again: 

What is the point? Why am I even bothering to write?

This is, actually a good question. One that's actually good to get out of the way as soon as possible, so whether you're being negative about writing or not, put some thought into it. 

Why do you write?

Is it because you're chasing fame and riches? 

Or is it because you (for about one or more of a million possible reasons) love writing

Still unsure? Let me put the question this way: 

If there was no chance whatsoever of you ever publishing anything or of your book ever being read by anyone else... 

Would you still write? 

There is no right or wrong reasons, but I can say that if the answer to this question is no, it's probably a better idea to stop and find something you're passionate about. 

I bet some of you thought this was going to be one of those rainbow and unicorn posts about how you ARE talented and how your voice DESERVES to be heard. 

Honestly, though, writing isn't about that. The publishing industry, the media and we writers ourselves make writing about reader numbers, profits and critical success. 

And really, it's bullshit. Yes, all those things are nice. But the actual act of writing, of putting words on paper because you like what you're working on... That's simple. 

You either enjoy writing enough to keep writing regardless, or you don't. 

And the latter is nothing to be ashamed of. People sometimes stop enjoying writing for some reason. Sometimes, it's bad enough that they stop. If you're someone who just isn't enjoying it, take a break. Even if it's a break that takes years. Even if it takes the rest of your life.

Because nothing, not even writing, is worth making yourself miserable. 

If, on the other hand, you realize that you still love writing, regardless of all the other stuff not going your way, focus on that instead. Your love of writing is the right thing to focus on at all times. Disappointed in sales? Write anyway. Did your favorite agent take all of 20 seconds to send back a form rejection? Write anyway. Is your Wattpad story getting zero new reads? Write anyway. 

Write anyway. 

Because when you love writing, writing is the point. Everything else is just secondary. 

Thanks for reading, everyone! As always, I'm open to any questions about writing. Just ask them in the comments. If your question inspires me to write a new section, I'll dedicate that section to you. 

Coming up in 100 Things: 

Who do you trust? 

Making Writing Work for You (MarissatheMarvelous)

Dealing with Non-Writers (MarissatheMarvelous)