I

Plastic navy grass prickles against the soles of my naked feet. My fingertips brush rough, silver bark as I pass. Metallic leaves tinkle against each other, framing the cloudless violet sky. A halo of magenta emanates from the three moons, casting light on the forest below.

A breeze moves across my bare shoulders, lifting long platinum hair against the back of my shift. The back is open for the six cellophane wings at my back, reflecting light like the surface of a bubble.

A boy sits hunched with his back to me, facing a creek cutting through the dark grass. The water, like mercury, whispers as it glides over glassy rocks and congealed dirt.

"Rune," I whisper.

He turns his cheek. Black bangs curl over his forehead. Red crystalline antlers branch out from his scalp and fade to brown at the stems embedded in his hair. He stands, his pants like strips of frayed ribbon wrapped around his legs.

"Lumen." Red stains frame jade eyes and drip down the sides of his nose. "Finally."

"Finally?"

He steps forward. "Listen to me. I need your help. I'm in real trouble."

"Sure you are." I scan the spaces in the trees on the other side of the creek. "Hey...where's your brother?"

"I don't know." His eyebrows are pushed together, lips parted. "I can't find him."

"Maybe he's just on his way."

Rune shakes his head. "I've been here a long time. Longer than I ever have before." He crosses his arms. "I can't leave. Something's wrong. I haven't been able to wake up."

"You'll be okay. I don't like when you leave me alone anyway."

He pushes his fingers through his bangs, making them scrunch up. "When are you going to figure it out?" He steps closer and plants his hands on my thin shoulders. "This is not a dream, Lumen. I am not a figment or your imagination. I'm in trouble. Please. Find me. Find my brother. Get me out of here."

I blink. "At least wait until I wake up."

He is silent for a second. "I've been waiting for you for hours. You know how dangerous it is to stay in one place. Please. We practically grew up together. Me and Sal helped you when you first started coming here. We explained things. We picked your name. We..."

"Rune. It's okay."

He growls, plucks a thin, metal leaf from the tree, and points it at me. "Find us, Lu. I'm not kidding."

I scoff. "What are you gonna do with that?"

"I won't be here when you come back. I have to keep moving. Remember what I said."

He slashes the leaf's razor edge against my bicep.

~

I jolt awake, heart beating fast like I just stopped myself from falling. I take a moment to calm, soaking in the black nothingness of my room.

God, I hate my dreams.