Chapter 4

"I'm telling you, man. She looked like she wanted to kill me!" I said, shaking my head.

I stood in front of the bathroom mirror getting ready, as I explained to Eric what I had just went through a little bit before. Eric had knocked on my door a few minutes before, asking when I'd be ready for the gig. Since I told him it'd be a little, I decided to invite him inside. Eric sat on the bed and we talked as I fixed myself.

"Lyla...you better be careful. You and I both know how Courtney can get when she gets pissed off." He replied.

"I know, I know. It's not like I have a thing for Kurt, though," I lied,"So there's no use in her getting all worked up for no reason."

He nodded in agreement,"I know that, but if she feels threatened she's gonna make you go through hell for it. That's just the way she is."

Eric wanted to watch out for me as best he could. In some ways, he was like an older brother to me. I trusted him the most out of everyone in the band, therefore I would talk to him whenever I needed to get something off my chest. Even though I knew Eric was close with Courtney as well (they had even dated at one point), I knew he wouldn't tell her the things I'd say. He wasn't the type of person to try start stuff like that. In fact, he didn't really want anyone to have "beefs" with each other at all. He wanted to keep the band going, as well as keep everyone on good terms.

"Yeah," I sighed,"I'm just gonna have to try to get on her good side again, I guess. I don't want her to tell me to pack my bags and leave."

"That's the only thing you can do, really. I doubt she'd kick you out of the band just because of that, though. Kurt's gonna have other females as friends, and she knows that. It's not like you guys were kissing or anything, right?"

I nodded.

"Everything'll be okay as long as you're aware of things, y'know?" He said, trying to reassure me.

I gave him a weak smile, then ran my hairbrush through my hair a few more times. I walked over to my bag and slipped it back inside.

"I'm guessing you're finally done now?" He asked, giving a slight chuckle and standing up.

"Oh, hush, I don't take that long, and you know it," I smiled, then walked over to him and gave him a quick hug,"Thanks for being here for me, though."

"Even though I was the one who came to you," he said hugging back,"don't mention it."

We released each other and laughed, then went to find the others

•••••••••••••••••••••••••

The concert hall reeked of alcohol as much as it did sweat. The walls were covered with weird stains, as well as the floors, but hey. A gig's a gig. You've gotta deal with what you've got.

I was playing around on my bass when Courtney grabbed me by the arm and pulled me to my feet.

"C'mon! We're gonna be on soon!" She said in her loud but hoarse voice.

I jumped a little, already uneasy of how she'd treat me tonight.

"Jeez, Court. Watch it. You're gonna break my arm one of these days," I smiled slightly, trying to seem friendly.

"Oh, toughen up, Ly," she said in a joking tone, relieving some of my stress,"Grow some balls."

The two of us walked to the side of the stage, meeting up with Caroline and Eric. Soon enough the band playing before us finished their set, and it was time for us to go on. About five minutes after they exited, the four of us walked onto the stage quickly. I plugged in my bass, as Caroline tapped on the snare drum and Courtney began talking to the crowd.