eight.

« « broken windows and empty hallways / a pale dead moon in the sky streaked with gray » »
i think it's going to rain today ;; tom odell

The battle at the core didn't last as long as I had thought. We defeated every single robot that came at us, together, and that made me inexplicably proud of us. However, there were leftovers that were ordered to retreat.

Ultron was now gone, and one last thing was to be taken care of. Tony, Vision, and Thor were to stay behind and blow the hunk of rock up. That meant that the rest of us had to get going.

Clint and Nat began to head for the boats, along with Steve. That left Pietro, Wanda, and myself.

"Get the people on the boats," she ordered Pietro and I, a hard look in her eyes. I think my speech to her worked too well.

"I'm not going to leave you," Pietro retaliated.

"I can handle these," she grunted, flinging two droids away from coming at her. "Come back and get me when everyone else is off, not before."

Pietro smirked, whisking me off my feet and bringing me into his arms. He walked by his sister, getting ready to speed off.

"You understand?" Wanda demanded after not receiving a reply from Pietro.

He turned around, with me still in his arms, and with his signature cocky smirk on his face.

"You know," he said, his voice light with humor, "I'm twelve minutes older than you."

Wanda laughed, "go."

With that, Pietro sped off to where the lifeboats were waiting. I was set down as soon as we arrived. I left Pietro to gather any stragglers.

I saw Clint off in the distance trying to help a little boy get out from underneath debris. I teleported there, quickly aiding him.

Clint looked up. "Get out of here, kid. I got it."

I smiled, pulling the little boy out the rest of the way. But before I could reply, I heard bullets in the distance. I looked up, finding a jet coming straight at us, and it was raining bullets.

Clint grabbed me, shielding me from any harm. The bullets never hit.

I turned away from Clint's arms, facing the underside of a car. Looking over just the slightest, I spot Pietro.

"Pietro?" I choke on my words, holding a shaking hand up to my lips in shock. Bullet wounds were littered all over his body, blood pouring out of the tiny holes.

His electric blue eyes connected with my own.

"Didn't see that coming, did you," he said, struggling to get the words out. He fell onto his side, causing me to sob and scramble over to him.

There was a part of me that felt nothing, and another part of me felt this burning hatred. I wasn't sure which feeling I was scared of most, but in that moment it didn't matter. All I could really focus on was the way he dropped and laid completely still in the dirt and rubble. I could have screamed, but my body was too numb to function.