DEC 2nd

Dec 2nd
They were in the car again, heading to the hospital for another round of checkup for Ore.

"It's going to be a girl" Ore said before taking a sip of her tea which she managed to make before being dragged to the car.

"No honey. I know it is a boy" Dapo retorted

"I am the one carrying the baby" Florence screamed "I said it's a girl"

Omolade who was perched at the back sit, could not understand why she had to be there with them. Oh yes! because her sister had been short tempered and her brother-in-law had begged for her to come along.

"Why don't you both just find out the sex of the baby already?" Omolade spoke up for the first time since they got into the car.

"It will take out the surprise. Besides, we made a bet on it. If it's a girl and I am right, Dapo will get me a new car"

Omolade rolled her eyes but kept her mouth shut.
"I want to go to the nearest bookstore when we get to the hospital if that is okay by you both" she said with all intentions of exploiting her brother-in-law.

"Oh great! More romance books" Ore said sarcastically. Omolade tried her best to ignore the statement but couldn't.

"Romance, poetry, thriller, horror, even an animated story book..! Anything that keeps me out of your space."

"Dapo did you hear this girl?" her sister warned daringly. "I will slap her o!"

Omolade just rolled her eyes and kept looking out. After an uncomfortable silence had descended over them, she decided to speak up again "so? Can I?"
Dapo glanced over at his wife, not willing to make a decision without her.

"You are so angry with me that you don't want to look at your niece or nephew huh?" Ore said, more sad than angry.

Omolade felt guilty once again and cursed her kind heart. That same kind heart that made all the guys she ever liked to friend zone her. She seemed like the perfect friend they could all come to when in need but never to date her.

"I will go after the ultrasound" Omolade murmured.

Her sister remained silent while Dapo spoke up "Sure! No problem Lade"

Once they arrived the hospital, they were taken to a little room that was beautifully decorated with baby pictures and Christmas decorations.

Ore took her place on the examination bed and pulled up her big maternity blouse she had on. A nurse came in for the examination and exchanged greetings with them all and immediately settled to business.

As the screen lit up and they saw the baby curled up peacefully, the tension in the room quickly dissolved and was replaced with joy.

"Seems like the baby is hale and hearty" the nurse confirmed with a laugh. "Your expected due date is still the same, eight days from today" she offered a smile as Dapo and Ore thanked her.

"Can we speak to Dr. Richard now? Ore asked.

"Yes you can, he is expecting you both."

"Can I go now?" Omolade asked anxiously. "I will be back by the time you are done with the doctor"

Ore rolled her eyes at her sister while Dapo asked if she needed money.

"Of course she will need money" Ore scoffed.

"Sis...! Omolade warned, as Dapo reached for his wallet and gave her a couple of bills.

"Thank you" Omolade chirped as she rushed out of the room sticking her tongue out at her sister.

No matter how old she was, she was still the little girl of the family. She happily headed to the entrance door and admired the decoration at the reception, contemplating if she should steal the idea for their own Christmas decoration. As she looked at it thoughtfully, she pushed the front glass door without seeing the young man coming in, who was dressed in a blue doctor's uniform and a stethoscope around his neck.

He had a cup of coffee in his hand as he operated his phone with the other. He too was in such a hurry that he was not looking at the door when it was pushed right into him.

"what the..." he did not get to complete his exclamation when his cup of coffee flew out of his left hand as well as the phone.

"I am sorry." Lade bent to pick up the phone and crashed her head with his as he too reached out for the phone.

"Hey!!" they both backed up slowly.

"Are you okay?" the young doctor asked

There was something familiar about his voice but she brushed that thought aside and stood straight.

"It's you again!" Omolade exclaimed as they recognized themselves from the skating rink yesterday.

"Why do you keep running into me?" The handsome stranger enquired.

"I think the question should be -why do you keep running into me" she corrected

"Well but you did run into me twice." He replied rather amused than angry.

"I guess" Omolade admitted "but it's all because I was trying to help you today. By the way, here is your phone."

"Yeah...." He answered absentmindedly as he stared straight into her eyes. Maybe it was the winter or the breeze that brushed by her or maybe it was the way he looked at her, all Omolade knew was that she suddenly felt chilly. "Thank you for the phone."

"I am sorry about that" he said breaking the brief silence.

"Oh no! Now you are making me feel guilty. I am sorry and I think I owe you another cup of tea or was it coffee?" She looked down at the broken paper cup on the floor.

He chuckled and followed her eyes to the cup on the floor with its spilled liquid. "Coffee. I had to grab one this morning since I had little sleep last night"

Omolade was suddenly curious and wanted to ask why he had little sleep but instead she said "look I was just heading to the little bookstore down the road, I could get you another cup of coffee at least I owe you another cup."

"Tempting!" he said and smirked at her "but I have to check back inside. Although, I think you should come with me and get your head checked out. Who knows what damage has been done in the last 12hours?"

Omolade returned his smirk "So are you insinuating my brain has been affected?"

"Oh no! Don't twist my words I meant..." He gave her a genuine but charming smile.

"I know what you meant" Lade cut him off "and thanks doc but I think I am good. Sorry again" and with that, she jogged across the street towards the bookstore.

Omolaade didn't even understand why she ran away like that, without even getting his name but she all of a sudden found it hard to breathe and needed to get out of there. Maybe she really did need that checkup.

He watched her as she jogged across the street in a black long coat, slim fitted jean and a winter boots. Her Afro hair appeared to bounce with each step she took.
He mentally punched himself for not getting her name or number. Two days in a row he met this beautiful girl and did nothing. He prayed to God for a third chance which he promised he would not mess up.