Chapter Five

(A/N) So then, I got my mock exam results. I got four Bs and five Cs, which I am quite happy with. I'm just surprised that I passed history, honestly. I suck at history. And I got a B in art. I don't even understand how that crap happened. And I start daily revision this week for three hours per day. Idk, I'm rambling. GOD, JAMIE, SHUT UP AND GIVE THEM THEIR WEEKLY DOSE OF FRYE. Okay, okay, sorry.

~~~~

Jacob and I managed to get back to the shop to find that Henry wasn't back yet. The door had been locked shut and Evie was perched on a stack of boxes outside. She spotted us and approached to stroke the horses.

"Finished your mission?" She asked.

"Yes. Little Miss Faraday here is already very skilled. She's rather strong with her throwing knives too."

"Ah, like me!" Evie grinned. "I can help you to adapt your skills with the knives."

"I would like that."

"Ah, ah. First, I am shining up her sword skills." Jacob stood on the seat and then jumped from it, landing with a roll. "Come on. Henry must have a back garden." He started to clamber up the wall. Evie dug into the inside of her coat, pulling out a pair of gloves.

"I found these on a Blighter I took down earlier today and realised that you didn't have any. Here. You can have them." I put them on.

"Thank you, Evie." She waved me off and I started up the wall.

I reached the roof and noticed that Jacob wasn't there.

"Down here!" I peered over the edge to see him standing in the middle of a patch of grass. "Don't know where Henry has the time to tend to this place, but we can use it to fight." I hopped down next to him. "I'll help you with the sword cane first, then you can choose what we practice during our next session." He gave a smile and cocked his head to the side. "That okay?"

"Yes. That's fine."

"Good." He turned so that his back was to me. I watched his hand go to his sword cane, so I quickly and quietly unsheathed the top knife from mine. Jacob suddenly shifted and went to strike me with his cane. I swung my arm up and dodged, then pretended to slice his neck. "Nicely done! Expect the unexpected." He clapped my back with his hand. "That is a good skill to have. None of your enemies will tell you what they are going to do before you have a chance to get ready." He swung again, and I twisted away from his attack. Jacob smirked. "So make sure you have the upper hand." He adjusted his hat. "Regular training exercises." He peered around for a little while. "I know he has one..." He looked beneath a sheet and cheered quietly. "Found it." He pulled out a scarecrow which had been mounted so that it could stand without having to be stuck into the ground. "Show me one way of finishing off an enemy."

"Simple or complex?"

"Let's try simple first. Don't want to overwork you." I simply stabbed the scarecrow in the neck. "Slightly more complex now." I darted to the back of the dummy, pulled it by its stand then sunk my hidden blade into its spine. "I like that one." He picked it back up again. "How complex can you go?"