"They don't have a choice. It's called work. It makes money to pay bills."

Liam just nodded. He got it. He was a rich, spoiled brat. She was just calling him out in the nicest possible way. "What do you do to pay the bills? Surely this isn't your only job."

"What? You think I don't just sit in bathrooms talking to be people all day?"

He looked at her, raising his eyebrows.

"Okay, I'm an artist. Right now, I'm teaching art for the local schools. I wanted to go to grad school in Paris, but I don't have the money. So, I'm saving."

"Paris? Everyone goes to Paris." he mumbled.

"What?" she asked.

"Nothing, sorry. That's great. You teach. And where is the boyfriend?"

Penelope sighed. "He's in Saginaw? About an hour and a half south? I went to college there. He got a job teaching math."

"Ah! I see. So, you came home and he stayed?"

Penelope nodded. "Anyhow, finish the soup and nap. I'll take you shopping for better snow gear later." She stood up and left, letting Liam finish his bath in private.

Liam napped for hours. By the time he woke up, it was dark and he could smell something tomatoish coming from the kitchen. He pulled on jeans and went out to look. On the counter, there was a plate of lasagna, garlic bread and a note.  "Holler up when are ready to go shop." Then there was a heart and the word "Pen." She must called herself Pen.

Liam dove into the food and devoured every bite. He was starving. He couldn't remember ever being so hungry. He looked around for more and found the dish on the stove. There was some left. He cut himself another piece and ate that before hollering up the stairs that he was ready.

"Coming!" Pen yelled. She ran down the stairs, walked into the kitchen, washed his plate, covered and put away the leftovers and wiped the counter. Then she turned and smiled. "Ready. Let's go."

She led him out to a Blue Jeep Grand Cherokee 4 by 4 with all wheel drive. "This is your car?" he asked.

"Yep. Snow. Ice. No cute little car for me." She looked over at the Lexus that Liam had rented. For some reason, he felt ashamed. Like, he didn't drive a real car. He shook off the feeling and climbed into the truck. She drove him to Walmart. He'd never been in a Walmart before. "Sorry. It's the only store that sells what you need within a 50 mile radius." With that she jumped out of the car and walked to the doors.

Walmart was loud. Not just the noise level, but the signs, the colors. It was an assault on his senses. Too much, too bight. Penelope walked with a purpose to the men's section and pulled coats off a rack, handing them to Liam to try on. Once he found a heavy brown carhart coat, the best and toughest brand, she assured him, she got him coveralls, boots, heavy gloves, a better hat and long underwear. Then she made him pick out some hoodies and sweat pants. He'd thank her later, she assured.

He made his way to the check out, thinking he had hundreds of dollars worth of merchandise. The total was only 194 dollars. The jeans he was wearing cost more than that. And they didn't even keep him warm.

"So, what do people do here, on Saturday nights?" he asked.

"Well, if it was summer, lots. But in the winter? Movies? Shop at Walmart?" she laughed.

"Isn't there a bar or something around here?" He asked.

"Sure. But, I'm not much into bars. I can show you where to go."She drove him back to Oscoda and in the tiny "downtown" there was a Dairy Queen, a bank, a fish shop, a rite aid and a bar. It was also a pizza place. Nothing else looked open. Not even rite aid. Pen pulled into the parking lot, parked and walked up to the bar.

Inside the bar was dark and had the smell of old beer in the air. It was crowded. Only a few tables were left open. Liam pulled Penelope to an open table and made her sit. "One drink." he said. "I need to relax."

The waitress walked over. "Hey, Cricket. Who's your handsome friend? This isn't Tom!"

"Holly, meet Andy. Andy, meet Holly." Penelope introduced them to each other.

Liam gave her an appreciative up and down glance. "Hey, Holly" he said. "How about a couple beers?"

"Oh My God! He's English? Where did you find him, Cricket?" Holly gushed.

"Walmart. Look, Andy, I don't want a beer. I've got work to do at home..." Penelope started.

"Oh! My shift is almost over.  I'll take him home. You go!" Holly practically pushed her out the door. Liam looked fine, so she decided to let him have his fun. 

On her way home, she tried to called Tom, but got his voicemail. Feeling sorry of herself, she made hot chocolate and settled on the couch to work on her lesson plans. Her mother was next door and her own boyfriend didn't even answer. Plus, that slut Holly was with Liam. Not that it mattered, but still.

She must have fallen asleep on the couch. She was woken by a knocking on the door. Then, a very drunk and disheveled Liam was helped into the house by Holly. "Hey, Cricket. Here. I gave him my number. Have him call me if he'd like more of what he got tonight! Did you know English guys aren't circumcised? So weird." With that, she giggled and left Liam laying in a chair. Pen shut the door and went over to Liam. He smelled awful. Whiskey.

Sighing, She pulled off his shoes and moved him over to the couch. She supposed this was normal for him, right? Damn that Holly, she thought. Wait. She didn't care, right? He could do what ever he wanted. She kept telling herself "right" hoping that her brain would believe it.She had no claim to Liam and she had a boyfriend, anyway. A boyfriend who never called, but still, a boyfriend. Covering him with a blanket, she went up to her own bed to sleep and stop thinking about the gorgeous man in her livingroom. He was off limits.