#34 - Birth

#34 – Birth

Ta cursed.  The baby’s head erupted between her thighs, and Lonnie eased him out.  Ta claimed him, her tears drying.  She leaned against Cilron.  “Your son.  What do you want to name him?”

“We’ll call him “Festin” for the ship.”

“Festin of Bastonelle.  Witness that.”

“Witnessed,” said Lonnie.  He felt the news sweep through the ship matrix.  His eyes stung as he watched Cilron caress Festin’s cheek.  Turning, he saw Esther hesitating in the door, with a steaming bucket.

“We’ve boiled water, if you want it,” she said.

“How in the world did you manage that?”

“Mr. Thompson broke up some furniture for a fire.”

“Everyone ought to be evacuated,” Lindar snapped.  “This building is not safe!”

“Engers won’t leave because I’m here.  The senior Thompsons stayed to help.  No place in New Harmony is safe.”  Esther pushed a strand of damp hair behind her ear.

“True,” sighed Lonnie.  He washed baby and mother, helping Ta adjust her uniform to fit her shrunken girth.  Cilron tucked Festin inside his flight suit, the neck left open for the baby’s head to stick out.  Ta liked old Mrs. Thompson, and accepted support from her.  Cilron draped his arms over Joe’s shoulders.  The black mist of the transfer elevator swirled around them.

Esther looked unhappy.  “I wish I could have found General Ding.”

Theta was distracted by the new baby.  “Hang on!”  Lindar grabbed Esther around the waist and reached for Heaume at the construction site.  It was like hitting a tree.

Esther gasped half with laughter, half with terror.  “What did you do?”

“I need your shields,” said Lindar.

“Yours to command,” Heaume whispered.  Lindar concentrated.  The trembling ground froze, jelly turning to ice.  The sky – first a star, and then the Festina blazed into view.

Theta loomed out of night.  The air felt like gunpowder.  “I had you under my shields, ready to transfer to the ship, and suddenly you were gone!”

Lindar touched his eyes.  “I’ll warn you next time.  I need a runway for Nakajima to land on.”

“If you used Ragnor, he could fly to me.  Nakajima-san will need light.”

“I can make light,” snapped Lindar.  They faced off like combatants.  Thunder rolled in the distance.  Lightning seemed to sparkle in Lindar’s aura.

“Where do you want it?”

“There.”  Lindar sent a flare of light to illuminate the valley.  Theta followed it with a black ribbon of shielding that glittered like obsidian.

*-*-*

I wasn’t thinking at all.  I was too tired.  All critical faculties had taken a vacation when Lonnie appeared.  It seemed completely natural that Lonnie could make the transfer elevator work sideways.  White light flooded the valley; a dark shadow filled it.  I saw the lights of Nakajima’s shuttle: the king coming to his kingdom on human-made wings.  The roar of the shuttle’s engines became an intolerable scream as the craft touched down.  I stuck my fingers in my ears.  It taxied to a stop, and the cargo ramp in back was lowered.  Something was unloaded with a lot of banging.  Hooves rang on the cracked paving.  The king led his horse, a smallish bay mare.  “This isn’t Charlie,” I said.