#22 - Exchanges

#22 – Exchanges

“I’m starting to have an idea about this “transfer elevator”,” said Engers.  We stood on the roof of the command center, watching the tent rise beyond the apple trees.

“Oh?” A duffel bag sat at my feet.  It had proved hard to retrieve Lt. Nakajima’s possessions.

“I don’t think it’s technological.  It can be anywhere, with nothing to generate it.  But Theta is always on one end or the other.”

“It makes sense.”  I wasn’t really paying attention.  Captain Cilron emerged from behind the tent.  Ding had reached the apple trees.

*-*-*

“Captain Cilron.  I trust that my cultural attaché arrived safely.”  Ding freed a thin strand of black entangled among the leaves and wound it around his fingers.

Cilron grinned.  He liked this cool old character.  “Already hard at work.  I trust you did not find Theta’s visit unseasonably late.”

Ding studied the thin black strand that bound his fingers together.  “A fascinating lady.  Your wife’s grandmother?”

“Yes, and as my wife was orphaned, she is, in effect, my mother-in-law.”

“Ah,” said Ding “I was fortunate in that respect.  My wife’s mother never spoke to me.  I wonder if I might add a few names to the list of people visiting your ship today.”

“An official delegation?”

“A semi-official delegation,” said Ding “in charge of Ambassador Dorsey.  She has been distressed by the idea that Hugh Squires might be lying frozen in a morgue.”

“Certainly the bodies are frozen, but we mean no disrespect.  We have no other means of preserving them.  Each is already in a coffin.  A forensic artist has sketched each person as he or she might have appeared alive, and there are a few items of clothing that might help.  It should not be necessary to view the bodies.  Your delegation is welcome.  There are a few rules for using the transfer elevator: no weapons or explosives are permitted.”

“That prohibition was explained to the men from the scouting parties.  Any questionable item, including small knives and other sharp objects, will interfere with the operation of the transfer elevator.  I take it the dagger you wear must not trip the alarms.”

“Bastonelle clan daggers are exempt,” Cilron agreed, “not because they are invisible but because they proclaim what they are and who is wearing them.”

“In all worlds, rank has its privileges,” commented Ding “But the dead are due their rest.  These people, even if no one can identify them, have come to the end of their journey.  Only the weather prevented us from having all three graves completed.”  Cilron marveled at Ding’s capacity to restate events.  Ding handed him a sheet of paper.  “Esther has prepared the list of the identification committee.”

Cilron realized he was being tested.  “The elder Thompsons are already on the visitors list for today.  The others are welcome upon your recommendation, General.”

“You read English, then?”

“I can read several human languages.”

“What about Japanese?”

“Never mastered that one.”  Cilron watched Ding think of a question and then decide against asking it.

“In addition, I am concerned about the two men you still hold.”

“If Captain Smith wishes to verify their good health, he is welcome,” said Cilron.

“I had planned to send Lt. Wells.”