#15 - The Festina

#15 – The Festina

Engers shoveled my papers into the satchel while I worried about not having a toothbrush.  “For crying out loud, Esther, teeth won’t rot if you don’t brush for one night!”

“The shop on Deck 6 will be able to supply anything you need.”  Paul put the spare cloak around my shoulders.  I wondered what aliens used for money.  The Ambassador paused to speak to Dave Thompson and his parents.  At last, we reached the door.  The Ambassador waved us through and said to General Ding.  “To avoid accidents, give us a minute before letting anyone follow.”

We walked into blackness, but no rain fell on us.  “You will feel pressure, then a second of weightlessness,” said Paul, “Breathe normally.”  Gravity returned, but I felt light.  Great black wings opened.  We stood under harsh lights, the dark angel of the coffin regarding us.  Engers jumped at finding her next to him, and bounced.  She grabbed his arm.  In this prosaic setting, both Engers and the Ambassador were taller.  But she radiated power and authority as the sun sends out light and heat.

“My God,” said Engers, “She’s black!”

*-*-*

“Lonnie is on Deck 6.  One of the mares is giving birth,” said Theta.

Cilron bit his teeth on an expletive.  The timing was awful but no help for it.

“The prince projected the images Treblen sent us.  Some factions tried to reject the new evidence.  Pak!chik of Ferngarth sent a coded message requesting certain records.  Guard the ambassador and her companion, as well as the evidence.”

“I will.  What of the other human?  Did Lonnie take his oath?”

“Must you ask?  Within seconds.”  Theta transferred without warning.

*-*-*

One second she was there, the next, she was gone.  Engers jumped and scrambled for footing.  “What happened?”

“She wished herself elsewhere.”  Paul Soundman had retained my arm and steadied me.  “Don’t worry.  Only she and the prince do that.  Everybody else has to use the elevators.”

I looked around.  The place was bleak, with industrial-strength lights high overhead and worn friction matting underfoot.  “I’m sorry if Theta startled you,” said Cilron “Let’s take that ramp down.  Move cautiously in this low gravity.  On most of the passenger decks, the gravity will be similar to the planet.”

“You vary the gravity from deck to deck?” asked Engers.  He could not resist bouncing a little and grabbed the handrail to keep from shooting up.

“That’s correct.”  The Ambassador watched as Engers bounced down the first curve of the ramp, pushed off the padded wall and disappeared around a corner.

“He’s young.  It’s fun.”  I defended Joe, and secretly envied him.  Only the presence of the Ambassador and Paul kept me walking sedately.

“I understand.  Better he get it out of his system here.”  The Ambassador smiled.  A muffled thud sounded below.  When we rounded the curve, Engers was getting up.  A machine like a wide flat turtle was creeping up the ramp towards us, whirring softly.

“Robot cleaner,” explained Paul.

The Ambassador stepped over the machine and ran down the ramp, limping slightly.  He helped Joe pick up the papers.  Paul guided me around the cleaning turtle.  We reached the landing and the Ambassador put his hand against a section of wall.  A door slid open.  The Ambassador gestured us through into a green-carpeted corridor.  The walls were ivory, with a decorative motif running at shoulder height.  “This deck contains the living quarters and offices for most of the officers who serve with me.  We are in the longest corridor right now, housing the Passenger Facility section,” explained the Ambassador.