Two

"Calla?"

I pushed my locker door closed so I could see who was behind it. "Hi, Gareth."

"How was your weekend?" He asked, and I eyed him for a moment. What is he playing at?

"It was okay. Nothing special. How was yours?" I asked, smiling slightly.

Gareth was pretty hot: sandy blonde hair that fell on his forehead a bit, tanned skin, and bright green eyes. He was tall and well-muscled without being overly bulky. And most of all, especially after last week, I felt safe around him.

"It was awesome. Colt, Sam, and I stayed out for two nights on East Peak," Gareth said with his wide grin.

"You're brave," I remarked.

"Why?" Gareth asked, curious.

"My dad has been harping on about staying out of the bush and being safe and stuff since the PSA thing. Especially after last week," I said, closing and locking my locker.

"That shouldn't have happened, but I don't think you should be worried about it," Gareth said carefully.

I smiled at him. "Thanks. Now, we should probably get to class."

In Art, we were doing our set of four independent paintings, with a common theme. I chose mountains, building on the fascination I'd had for years. The seventy-five minute period flew by as I mapped out my first canvas.

Lunch was quiet, with Jessa held up in math and the boys at various sport practices. Cressida and Olivia chatted, while I ate in silence.

It was textbook work in bio, and then I traipsed home. Clouds, heavy and dark, were rolling down the side of North Peak, promising a storm tonight.

Dad had left a note saying he was having company tonight, so I busied myself vacuuming, dusting, and cooking.

When Dad came home, I asked if I could go out.

"Take the truck. I don't want you walking," He agreed, and I nodded.

I changed into my nicest jeans and a cute shirt with my lined leather jacket. I piled a few old throw blankets in the passenger seat and rolled down to Jessa's.

"Hey, are you going to the lookout tonight?" I asked, and she rolled her eyes.

"Duh," she said, climbing into the cab.

We drove through town, let the people that were walking throw their stuff into the truck bed, and drove toward the lumber mill.

The lookout was located at the base of North Peak overlooking the Pass and the river. Someone had constructed a large fire pit up there ages ago, according to Jessa, and most of the youth congregated there on a regular basis.

It was my first time up there, and Jessa was really excited.

"Did you notice the way Gareth looks at you?" She asked me as I parked the truck.

"I guess," I shrugged, tucking my hair behind my ear. I almost never wore it down, but Jessa had told me I had to.

"Open your eyes!" Jessa laughed. "He likes you!"

I gave her a doubtful look. "Gareth Cooper, liking plain, solemn, boring me? I don't think so."

Jessa rolled her eyes. "Calla you are not plain. Just give him a chance, okay?"

I nodded, looking at the keys I had pulled from the ignition.

"Hey," Jessa, said as she laid her warm hand on my forearm. "I didn't mean to upset you."