Escape

I had a mini panic attack.

            If we got caught, how would I ever get out of here?  They would just keep me in prison for longer.  If they did that I would never make it to the kingdom.  It was already far enough away to make it difficult to travel there.  The sound of footsteps got closer and I turned my head back and forth, scanning the small space for something to use as a weapon.

            "If you're playing another trick on me it won't work this time," Anderass said from the dark corridor right outside the stairwell.  We didn't have any more time.

            Reid turned to face the archway with a defiant look on his face and pulled me behind him.  As he did so my head hit the bottom of a torch hanging from the wall.  That was it! A plan started to formulate in my mind. I turned my attention back to Reid and Anderass and saw that Anderass was talking fiercely to Reid.  "How did you get out?" he sputtered.  "I know I locked that door."

            "Same way I did last time," Reid answered him.  "But I'm not going to give away my secret."

            "Well, I have to get you back to your cell, right now, or else I might get in trouble for almost letting you escape." Then he looked at me, as if noticing me for the first time.  "And you too little lady."  I was starting to get frantic, when I remembered my little plan.  I felt like time slowed down as Anderass reached for Reid's wrist and tried to grab mine, but I twisted out of the way.

I grabbed the metal torch from the wall and twisted back around.  I gripped the bottom end of it with both hands and brought it up over my head.  As the torch came closer and closer to his head I saw the guard's expression change from annoyance to disbelief, and then to fear.  The torch slammed into the side of his head and the guard collapsed to the ground.

            While I had knocked the guard out, I had also extinguished the torch which had been lighting the stairwell.  As we were plunged into darkness I sighed, "Wow. I can't believe I just did that."

            "Neither can I," a voice said from right behind me.  I jumped a little, but then realized it was just Reid.  I was so glad that it was just him.  "Come on, let's keep going up the stairs. There's no one to stop us now."  With that said he wrapped him arm around my shoulders.  It wasn't cold, but I had been shivering until I felt his warm arms around me.  I was really shaken from what I had just done and the consequences came laughing back at my face.  I shook of the haunting thoughts of re-imprisonment off and focused on what we had to do.  Reid's arms had a strong hold around me and I felt safe in them.  That was something that I had never felt in my life.  As we walked up the stairs I decided to savor this small moment of peace in my life.  It might not come again for a long while.

            I stumbled on an uneven stair while we walked blindly up them, but Reid caught me before I could fall even an inch.  "Don't worry," he said. "I've gotcha my dear."  We soon reached the light from the next torch and were able to move forward without any more problems.  Reid took his arm from around me and I felt empty again.

             We quickly reached the top of the stairwell and he looked at me with a grim smile on his face before he eased the door open just a crack.  As we peeked out I could see that there were no guards in sight, just the clerk sitting behind his little wooden desk.  He wasn't looking in our direction at the moment, so Reid took the opportunity and jumped the frail little man.  He squealed in fright, but Reid quickly covered the man's mouth with his hand to silence him.  "Should we knock him out or just tie him up?" Reid asked me.

            "Um... how about we do both. If you just knock him out he will get away sooner. And if you just tie him up he can still scream."

            "Smart," said Reid. The man jerked in Reid's hold, but he couldn't get out of Reid's strong arms.  Reid drew back one of his arms and the man, realizing what was happening, looked to me with a terrified expression.  Then Reid whacked him hard on the side of his head and his eyes rolled back into his head.  Reid looked around for something to tie him up with and found a long curtain from one of the windows.  He ripped it down the middle into a thinner piece and then wrapped it a few times around the man's midsection and hands and left him lying behind his desk.

            "Let's go before anyone finds us or the clerk here," Reid said, then took me by the hand and we went out the front entrance.  As we crossed through the heavy wooden door and stepped outside I felt the sun on my face and breathed a sigh of relief.  Reid looked over at me smiling and gave me a side hug.  We stood there for a few seconds, then I said, "Let's go."  We walked down the steps hurriedly and set off down the main road out of town. 
---------------------------

AN:

Hey guys! How are you all doing?

Hope your enjoying the story so far.

How do you like the character Reid? Is their little romance too much?

If you like it please vote! And if you have any suggestions please comment. 😄

Thank you to everyone who has read my book so far.