CHAPTER FIFTEEN - null null

They'd barely gotten out of the door when the faraway bells started ringing. The older kids started calling, voices leaping over the soccer field to their ears.

"Year Four lunch time! Year Four lunch time!"

"C'mon, Drake," Tommy said, grasping Drake's hand and breaking into a run. "The lunch lines only get longer!"

As the Year Fours sprinkled among the football field and the asphalt parted from the rest and started running as well, Drake and Tommy pressed on faster. Drake held his breath as they squeezed into the air-conditioned cafeteria along with a multitude of other students and their glows. The students only seemed to multiply as Drake and Tommy were drowned in a sea of bodies.

"Drake?" Tommy asked, losing grip of his fingers. "Aw, come on!"

They were one of the last ones in. As they stomped to the end of the rapidly growing lunch line, a thought flitted to Drake's mind.

"Hey, Tommy," he said, "what'd you mean when you said Zachary started doing stuff for you because that he's glowless?"

"Well, he just does," Tommy replied. "I tell him something. He does it. It's simple, really. Drake..." Light laughed in his eyes, illuminating the colonies of freckles.

Drake grabbed a lunch tray from the rack.

"I've got an idea," Tommy said, taking Drake by the hand. He cupped a hand to his mouth and shouted, "Wang!"

Several packs of girls ahead on the line, a questioning head peeked out. "Did someone call my surname?"

"You alright there, Wang?" Tommy asked, rushing forward and bringing Drake with him.

Zachary was almost at the yogurt fridge, a puzzle piece of missing glow wedged between dark spinach and wine. "Oh, hello, Tommy Johansson. Hello, Drake Hirsch."

"Gosh, we're in a hurry," Tommy said, making a big deal of brushing back his hair as if it were windblown. "Let us before you now – I mean, can we please cut you?"

To the packs of girls' dismay, Zachary nodded solemnly. "Of course, Tommy Johansson. Go ahead."

As they slipped in front of him, Tommy smirked. "See, Drake?"

"There's a bunch of people behind us," Drake protested. "Tommy, this isn't right."

"Geez, Drake," Tommy said. He grabbed a peach yogurt off the rack. Drake tore his gaze off of the girls shouting at the two line-cutters.

"He was saving our spot!" Tommy shouted back, and the complaints dimmed.

As Drake looked back, he met the gaze of the person behind him. "Oh, hey, Sagan. Sorry, didn't see you there. Here, you can cut me."

"It's fine," Cody replied. "We're at the front now, anyway."

#

Once they got out of line, Tommy ran forward to claim an empty table. "C'mere, Drake. And eat quick."

"Why?" Drake asked, sliding his tray onto the table next to Tommy's. Zachary sat down as well.

"We have to talk," Tommy said. Wine-like air slipped by as Cody passed. To Drake's surprise, a grin slithered onto Tommy's face. "You alright, new kid?"

"I have a name," Cody said smoothly.

"Of course you do." Tommy waved. "Well, c'mon, what are you waiting for? Sit down, sit down."

Maroon flitted with wariness. "Okay then." Drake scooted over to make room for Cody.

"I'm sorry about the way I acted before," Tommy said. The words were choking him. "I think everyone deserves a second chance. So, hello there. My name is Tommy Johansson."

He extended a hand.

"I'm Cody. Cody Sagan."

They touched hands, gave each other a hesitant shake, before quickly drawing their hands away and wiping them on their pants.

Drake raised his eyebrows and poured some soy sauce onto his rice.

"Eat quick, everyone," Tommy repeated. "And tie those shoelaces, Cody. Drake, Wang and I have a big surprise to show you."

"Okay," Cody said, stabbing his fork into some suspicious sausage. He didn't tie his shoelaces.

"You're going to eat that?" Drake assumed it was poison, but he needed evidence.

Cody looked at Drake weird. "It's food, isn't it?"

He stuffed the sausage into his mouth.

"Ohh," Drake muttered, a thin shiver plucking at his shirt.

At once, Cody gagged. His eyes crossed as he swallowed, before raising up both hands as Drake thumped him on the back. "I'm okay. I'm okay."

"Time's up," Tommy announced, face distorted in an expression of third-degree disgust. "Let's go."