New kid - Jack Barakat [TrustMeDestroya]

You step outside your house, munching on your half-eaten toast as you go. You can hear the laughter of your best friends, but you pretend to ignore it. Taking your time to lock up, you hear the laughter grow while the boys try to contain their excitement.

“Hmm,” You say loudly, playing along. “I wonder where the boys are,”

The laughter swells and your suspicions are confirmed. Max, being the smallest, was hiding in the bin; Dan was around the side of the house; Josh was behind the hedge; Chris was crouched behind the car, and Matt was behind the post-box outside your house. You smile to yourself, because the boys were doing their best to make you smile, and it was working. They were all your family, having been there for you whenever times got hard for you and never judging you for any of it.

“Guess I’ll be walking to school on my own,” You say, walking down the driveway, scuffing your shoes.

“BOO!”

All of the boys jump out at you, but it’s Max that scares you the most, springing up and sending the lid of the bin flying as you walk past. You scream and stumble, but Chris is there to catch you. You shoot him a thankful smile and smack Max upside the head.

“That’s taking it too far, Maximus!” You shout. “I hope you were crouching in something horrible!”

You stalk down the driveway, feigning anger. But you’d forgotten all about Matt, who hadn’t jumped out at you. He leaps out from behind the post-box, shouting incoherently and waving his arms around. So you did what came naturally to you whenever someone jumped out at you like that: you push him over.

“Ow, Shelbie!” He shouts as he lands on the pavement.

“Sorry,” You say quickly, helping Matt back to his feet.

You and the boys quickly fall into step with each other, walking as slowly as you can to school without being late. While you walk, you all make the usual jokes about curry, Chewbacca, vibes, hedgehogs and snapbacks and you whisper your thanks for having such great friends.

You’d first met Matt when you were five years old and had fallen over in the playground. He had taken one look at your bleeding knee and run away. You’d thought he had run away because he didn’t like blood, but when he came back, he was pulling a teacher along behind him and was wielding a plaster. The pair of you had stuck together since that day.

Of course, the other boys had come along later at the beginning of secondary school, instantly befriending you and Matt. You’d all had some amazing times together: going to gigs; walking the streets in the middle of the night; watching the fireworks on Bonfire Night on the roof of Josh’s house; sitting in Chris’ basement while the boys practised, feeling pride well up inside you; eating pizza at Max’s house while you all watch a movie; falling asleep with your head on Matt’s chest at one of your many sleepovers; the crazy New Year’s Eve parties that Josh’s parents held and a hell of a lot more. They were your favourite people in the world, and you weren’t going to let them go in a hurry.

“This new guy moved in down my road,” Matt says. “And get this – he’s American,”

“’Murrica!” Josh shouts in his best American accent. “Baseball! Sports! Barbeque!”

You roll your eyes, laughter slipping from your lips. “Do you know where he’s from?”

“East coast,” Matt says. “Baltimore, I think,”

“Cool,” You smile, while Max joins Josh with his own impression of a stereotypical American. Soon enough, you’re all doing it. 

“Someone get me a cheeseburger!” Dan whines, rubbing his stomach.