A Female's Perspective

He was probably the weirdest man she'd ever met (minus Albus Dumbledore, but she didn't think anyone could beat him in that).

She remembered catching sight of him the day she and the Dursleys first started shopping at that Walmart, on the day after they'd moved to America through Vernon's job promotion. He'd been holding a bag of Oreos and she had been having the feeling that somebody had been staring at her. Though at the moment he'd been looking elsewhere, she couldn't help but feel that it was him that had been staring.

But then they left and she put him out of her mind, right up until she ran into him on the day she had to go shopping alone for the first time.

She didn't know if it was an American thing, but she wasn't sure it was normal to just go and approach a stranger so candidly. He'd asked if she needed help, and all she knew was that maybe this was one of those "stranger danger" moments she remembered hearing Petunia lecture Dudley about back when they'd been kids.

And then he'd admitted he had seen her the other day and had wanted to talk to her, and then she was thinking that this was more a "Death Eater in Disguise" moment, trying to lull her into a false sense of safety.

That was right until he'd followed up and asked her if she liked Oreos, and all she could do was stare at him.

She really couldn't figure out James Wesley at all.

Honestly, she thought that was it and then they separated ways after buying their respective things. But then he offered her a ride that she reluctantly accepted, and she inwardly had the feeling that she was going to be seeing this man frequently and that he would become very involved in her life from then on.

She was right about that, and somehow there wasn't a Harry Potter without a James Wesley on most days.

They met every day since, and he always had Oreos around. Wesley had worn her down, right up until Harry began to allow herself to reply back, and realized he strangely just wanted to talk and be around her.

And then she finally said something first to him and he was grinning, and she didn't think she'd ever seen someone so handsome.

Harry thought she might've been a bit mad at that point.

She absolutely knew that she couldn't figure him out. Bloody hell, she knew he was dangerous. Even as polite and kind as he made himself out to be (and she knew he sincerely was to her), she innately knew and could feel he was a dangerous person.

He wore suits frequently, which made Harry think he was a businessman. He said he wasn't really and she believed him, even when he said he was a personal assistant. She just couldn't figure why she thought there was more to it than that.

Then she found herself going to high school all of a sudden. It was kind of strange and unexpected, but part of her was excited. Well, until she attended the first day and felt rather stupid since she didn't get anything at all. Having been gone from regular schooling so long, it was hard to understand anything.

But then she had Wesley and he promised to tutor her and things started becoming easier for her, and she was slowly starting to get it. Even if the Dursleys hadn't cared that some stranger was picking her up and taking care of her, she'd learned to stop caring about them a long time ago.

Now it was a Saturday away from her birthday, a few days away for her to turn 16, and she was currently about to contact her best friends. Taking the magic mirror Sirius had given her last year (at this, her hands clenched around the mirror briefly), she said Hermione's name and both her and Ron appeared.

Hermione Granger, if anything, was prompt and even if Ron Weasley wasn't, she'd make sure the other was.

"How are you?" she asked Harry anxiously. "How is wherever you are?"