XIV

I open the door to my house, "MOM, I'm home," and run up the stairs, setting my bag down.

I looked to my bedside table at the alarm clock; 11:49.

I collapse into my white bed sheets and I think. I think of the trip, I think of coffee, I think of Alyssa, and I replay the events prior in my head--on repeat.

"...Oh, I never asked, what's your band's name?"

"Um.. One Direction.."

One Direction? One fucking Direction? One Direction??????

How the hell..

Bzzz.

I hesitantly pull out my phone, thinking it's Niall.

Alyssa: hey, how's home?

Me: good, I guess.. you?

Alyssa: well, it's ok. I have that MRI tomorrow, though. :((

Me: oh yeah... hope that goes well. best wishes.

Alyssa: thanks.

Me: i love you, Alyssa. You're the bestest best friend ever.

Alyssa: I love you too :)

I locked my phone and tossed it on the bed, standing up as my door was opened.

"Uh, Melanie?" My moms voice started from behind the door. "You still awake?"

"Yeah mom, right here. What's up?" My eyelids were heavy and my body was tired, but if my mom needed me then that's what I'd be doing. Anything for her.

"How was your trip?" She started off hesitantly, as if she had meant to ask or say something else, but couldn't. Or wouldn't.

"It was great, I met loads of new people and they were all so kind, plus Pacheco's artwork was magnificent and--oh, I got his number! I don't know why, but I did. And New York was gorgeous and..." I rambled on about nothing and everything all at once.

"I.. Uh.. Went on a date too.." I mumbled incoherently.

"Huh?" She asked, obviously confused.

"I said I went.. On a date..."

"What? With who?"

"His name is Niall.. He's really sweet and he's a great person, I swear. I met him my first day in NY. He's so funny and kind and odd and..." I rambled on before my mother interrupted me.

"Hey hey I get it," she said with a chuckle. "I'm glad you had a good time! Um.. There's something--some things--you should know. You might want to sit down." I hesitate slightly before seating myself atop my bed, sinking into the mattress and running my fingers through my hair.

"Is everything okay?"

"Well, first off, while you were gone your dad.. Your dad was arrested in a bar while you were gone."

What?

"He hit someone over the head with a bottle and then refused to leave the bar, and then.. Melanie, your father killed someone."

"Wait, he.." I couldn't breathe, choking on my words. Sure he was abusive, but murder?

"O-Oh my god.." We sat in silence for a little while, neither of us knowing quite what to do. Finally she continued: "He's in prison. 4 years."

"4 years? He killed someone and he's only serving 4 years?"

"One more thing.. We're leaving in 3 days for New York. I know it's sudden, but you might wanna start packing."

(A/N)

NO IM NOT DEAD

WELL I AM BUT IM NOT

ALSO I'M SORRY THIS IS A SHORT CHAPTER BUT I WROTE IT IN 10 MINUTES SO YEAH

ILL BE UPDATING AGAIN SOON

BYE ILYASM

~M xx