Chapter 5

Alex's POV:

I put my phone back in my pocket. The air is cold at the park and I didn't grab a jacket before running out of the house, but I don't care. I needed to get out. She would've killed me if I didn't get out. I can't believe this happened... I look up to see Riley coming around the corner to the swings. "Alex? What happened? Oh my god, are you bleeding?" I just nod. The words don't want to come out. "Are you... Are you crying?" Riley's face drops, just like my stomach did when I heard the news...

Flashback:

I woke up and nobody was home. This wasn't unusual, but still, I had no idea what happened. I just knew something was wrong, my gut was telling me that much. Mom had been sober for at least a week, the longest time since Lilly was diagnosed with her cancer, and the car was gone so I assumed that she had to drive Lilly to a doctors appointment or something. Suddenly the phone rings. I slowly pick it up. "Hello?"
"Alex, it's mom... Lilly's in the hospital. You need to come here right now. Something wrong..." My eyes go wide.
"I... I'm on my way." I hang up and run out of the house. The hospital is a 5 minute run. I'm run up to the front desk, "my sister's here. What's her room number? Her name is Lilly Burwell." I'm surprised I can talk. I'm out of breath and my side hurts. The lady looks at me before turning her attention to the computer in front of her.
   "She's in room 322." Her voice is high pitched and whiney. I give her a nod, trying to say thanks before rushing out to find the room. It takes me a minute before I walk in to see my sister, lying on the bed with my mom by her side. I think I hear mom mumbling something... Is she... Is she praying? What is going on?
   "Mom?" I ask cautiously. Her head spins around, her face has tear stains the entire way down her face. Her makeup is running and her hair is a mess. She slowly starts to walk towards me before wrapping her arms around me, sobbing. "Mom, what's wrong?"
   "They don't think she's gonna make it Alex. She's not gonna make it through the night." My eyes go as wide as they can go and I focus on my sister, she's pale as snow and she looks like a corpse. Multiple tubes come from her limp and dying body. I can't stand the sight so I close my eyes.
   I never once expected to hear the sound of a flatlining monitor in a hospital, let alone the one connected to my younger sister. We were rushed out of the room and multiple other people rushed in, some shouting commands while others followed them. It seems like forever before they finally walk out of the room and the one doctor walks up to us.
"I'm so sorry. We did the best we could, but we couldn't save her..." And then he just walks away. Mom stops dead in her tracks.
"This is your fault..." She hisses in my ear. "You're the reason my daughter is dead." Mom walks away from me towards the exit. "Come on, we're going home." She yells. I don't argue, just put my head down and walk behind her to my house. When we get home she immediately grabs the bottle of vodka from the kitchen and starts to drink it all without stopping.
She starts throwing things at me, empty bottles, knifes, forks, and everything else in her reach.
"YOU KILLED MY CHILD!!! THIS IS YOUR FAULT!!!" Are the last words I hear from her before I run out of the house and to the park. I text Riley, I need to talk to him. I just need him...

End of flashback:

"Riley, Lilly... She's..." I start sobbing. I can't believe she's gone. She's actually gone. He looks at me confused.
"She's what?" He asks with concern laced in his comforting voice.
"She's... Dead..." I look into his eyes, those once joy filled eyes are now filled with sadness.
"Oh my god, I'm so sorry Alex." He pulls me into a hug, not letting me go. When I finally manage to pull back, he looks at me. "Do you need anything?" I look at his soft pink lips. I capture them in a kiss.
"Yeah, I need you..."