Chapter 2. Irritation

Start from the beginning

*          *          *          *

The barber shop was of walking distance like my dad said, but I took the car because I decided to buy us some breakfast. I was always the one who went out and did stuff like this because Dad couldn't have cared less.  

I told the barber I wanted a haircut and it took less than an hour. I paid him forty for the price and gave him extra ten just because I was feeling generous.  

Afterwards, I stopped at a Starbucks that was down the road and I bought Dad a strawberry coffee cake, a few lemon bars and a large coffee. I bought a frappechino and a few slices of lemon cake for myself.  

“Would you like to try our new Mocha Cookie Crumble?” the woman working the counter asked me.  

“Uh,” I debated whether or not I really wanted one but I decided to get it just because. “sure.” 

“What size?”  

“Tall.”  

“Okay--” She let out a soft dainty laugh, “--your total is twenty three, fifty six.” 

I handed her the money as she handed me the food. “Thank you,” I said and because I was still feeling generous, I dropped a five dollar bill in the tip jar.  

“Have a nice day,” she dismissed me with a smile. 

When I got back, Dad was still sitting on the couch, except he was on the one that was closest to the TV set. He pulled down his newspaper as soon as I stepped in the door.  

“Here,” I said and passed him the paper bag. 

“I was going to tell you to get me something to eat,” he laughed, “You’re always one step ahead of me, son.” 

“I got a haircut,” I told him. “See?” I motioned over to my head where my shaggy black hair once was. Now it was what one may call a buzz cut. 

“It looks nice on you,” he commented, “brings out your eyes more.” 

“Thanks.” I sat down on the sofa next to his and allowed myself to just relax for once. I let my eyes wander around the room, and soon a silver wallet caught my attention. “Is that a wallet?” I asked him. I knew it wasn’t his. It was a female’s wallet for certain. I shouldn’t have been surprised, but I was.

“That’s Sally’s,” he said, “she must have left it.” 

I became particularly surprised at the fact that he seemed to have just noticed the wallet was here. I thought back to the hundred dollar bill that Dad had given to me. It wasn’t his. 

As if he had read my mind, he spoke, “I only took stuff that we need. A few bills, some business cards in case we need to contact anyone,” he explained. “It’s not that bad. When she comes back for it, she won’t even notice.”

“Sure,” I said, not wanting to get more into the conversation. Like he said, he only got stuff that we needed so it wasn’t that bad. All things considered. “I think I might just go back down to the supermarket and get us something to eat for tonight.” 

“We’ve got frozen dinners,” he pointed out. 

“I’d like to eat real food, Dad.” 

“Alright, alright,” he agreed, sending me off with just a wave of his hand. 

*           *           *           *

When I got out of my car, I was immediately greeted by a familiar face. The local from yesterday. I shifted my weight to my right leg uncomfortably and stared back at him. “Hello.” 

“Hey,” he said with a smug grin on his face, “you really shouldn’t park your car here.” 

“Why?” 

“Well--” He folded his arms across his chest, “--it's a handicapped spot and I don’t think you’re handicapped.” 

I looked over to my car. My eyes scanned the parking space for any sign of a reserved handicapped space. As far as I knew, there was none. “It's not a handicapped spot.”

"Yes, it is." 

"No, it's not." 

I was immediately irritated by the conversation. The supermarket seemed to be an everyday hangout for this guy. “Thanks for the little…whatever it was. Bye.” I turned to walk across the street to the entrance of the market when the local was by my side, again. 

“I met you yesterday, right?”  

Yes. “No,” I said.  

“Really?” he questioned, his eyebrows furrowing. “We were in this exact spot. You bumped into me and dropped your groceries.” 

“I didn’t bump into you,” I corrected him out of habit, “you bumped into me.”  

“So, you remember?”

I didn’t answer him. I continued into the store, silently wishing that he’d just leave me alone. Like that would ever happen. 

“You’re obviously new in town,” he pointed out, “or else you wouldn’t have parked in that spot. Everyone in town knows that Mama Jules, who works at register 11, reserves that spot.” 

“I’ll move the car, alright?” I snapped at him, unintentionally. “Now, leave me alone.”  

“You don’t have to.”  

“So what?” I asked, “You were just giving me a hard time?”  

“I was pointing out the handicapped sign.” 

“And now, you’re following me.”  

He laughed in response and raised his hands up in surrender. “Alright, I’ll leave you alone. See you around, newbie.” He turned on his heel and exited the market. 

I sighed in relief at his absence. He was pressing too much and I didn’t like that, at all. I headed into the back of the store and picked up some fresh pieces of tilapia to cook for dinner tonight. Then, I paid for them and headed back to my car. The local was there, sitting on my car with a grin spread on his face. 

“So, you live around here?” he asked me as I approached him. 

“What do you think?” I retorted in response. I shot him a dry look that symbolized my complete and utter hatred for the man. I barely knew him but he had already managed to get on my nerves. 

He moved off the hood of my car. “I’m Levi,” he introduced, “and you are?”  

“Leaving,” I spat. I unlocked the door and got into the driver’s seat. 

He blinked once, his hazel eyes twinkling with amusement. “Anyway, like I said, I'm Levi. I live around here.”  

Obviously. “Great,” I said with sarcasm coating my words. I slammed the door shut and started up the engine. 

“You’re not going to tell me your name?” I heard his muffled voice ask. 

I looked over at him through the clear glass and flashed him a fake smile. I rolled down the window. “I’m going to drive away now, but if you want to tell me anything, I’ll still be listening.” My tone must have been coming off as a little too harsh because he blinked in surprise. 

He opened his mouth to speak but I cut him off by rolling up my window. I put the car into reverse and sped out of the parking lot faster than I could ever imagine. 

~*~*~  

Hey, maybe the best comment gets a dedication?