Chapter 7

An unexpected, warm sensation flooded through Magnum when Danny's fingers slid gently through his hair. It hadn't been his plan to coax the young man into touching him that way, yet Danny's obvious appreciation of his hair style had sparked sudden and unpleasant memories of Roger. The older man had criticized Magnum's slightly long strands, though at that time his hair had been even shorter than it was now. Roger had rarely ran his fingers through Magnum's hair, even though he knew how much Magnum liked it. He found it soothing and affectionate. Comforting. But as he understood now—Roger had never truly cared for him.

Magnum gazed at Danny, warmed by the young man's quiet confirmation not to cut his hair. Silly, he thought, that such a little thing as Danny liking his hair could be so exhilarating. He had mastered the art of exhibiting confidence—and effectively concealing the insecurities Roger had instilled in him. The man caused him to doubt himself, doubt his appeal to other men. Maybe that was the real reason he had gone so long without attempting to date. Roger's rejection had wounded him deeper than he cared to admit. He was in no hurry to experience such rejection again.

Yet here he was, defying his "survival" instincts and allowing himself to fall into Danny.

Allowing? Had he had any other option? Danny's instant attraction to him had eradicated any and all resistance he may have had against the young man. Everything about Danny insisted that the risk of rejection was minimal at best. The boy seemed surprised that Magnum was so into him.

Just play it cool, he cautioned himself as he returned to the counter. Even if he likes you, he may cut and run if you come on too strong. Give and take. You give a little...then let him give a little. There had been a moment when he blamed himself for his and Roger's breakup. He had tried to hold onto Roger, maybe a little too tightly. It had felt right to take their relationship to the next level of commitment, but it had instead caused Roger to pull back and ultimately end everything. At least that's what he had thought was the cause. Now, he was pretty sure Roger was just a self-centered dick who had never had any serious intentions toward Magnum to begin with.

Even so, he knew better than to try and take too much, too soon with Danny. The young man was special, he could feel it. Magnum was certain it was his fear of directly asking Danny for a date that had instigated the job offer—even if Danny truly was the perfect specimen for his painting. He was taking the safer route that would allow him to spend time with Danny, get up close and personal to a degree without the fear of being turned away.

Roger had turned him into a fucking coward, he realized quite suddenly.

Feeling annoyed at both Roger and himself, Magnum focused on the task at hand and retrieved a plastic bottle from the lower cabinet. "I asked you to shower," he said, facing Danny. "Because I need to apply a coat of tinted shimmer lotion to your skin. It blends more smoothly and evenly on freshly washed skin."

"Shimmer lotion?" Danny asked.

"It gives the skin a light bronze sheen that catches the light and deepens the shadows," he explained, then smiled. "Sharpens your image."

"Oh," Danny murmured with a nod.

Magnum steeled himself and told Danny, "Go ahead and remove the robe."