“Lou?”

Startled, he jumps in his seat a bit, blinking at the shock of being pulled out of the story so suddenly.

“Harry” he breathes out when he realises who’s just called him, face flushing a dark red seconds later, as he notices that Harry’s hand is still on his shoulder.

“You okay?” he’s grinning, that toothy smile that almost melts Louis into a puddle.

“Y-yeah” he clears his throat, “you scared me a bit.”

“Sorry” sheepishly, he smiles before taking his place on the desk next Louis, which is usually where Zayn seats.

“Where’s Zayn then?” Harry leans back on his seat, perfect example of confidence while Louis is tense, shoulders stiff and heart doing somersaults inside his chest.

“Art exam” he mumbles, embarrassed by his own reaction.

He eyes the boy from the corner of his eye, the long lean body stretched out on the seat, arms crossed. Gulping, he looks up, face burning as he sees the knowing smile and arched eyebrow on Harry’s face.

“Don’t those last, like, ages?”

Louis hurries to answer, thankful Harry decided not to get into the subject of his staring.

“A week” which is not exactly what Louis would call ages, but then again he thinks his three hours exams are long, so.

Harry grimaces, nose wrinkling, and Louis smiles softly at the sight. “Sounds awful,” he says, “especially with Ms Henley as the teacher”.

Louis nods in agreement and it’s his turn to grimace.

“You don’t like her either?” Harry smiles amused.

“Does anyone?” the words escape him as if on instinct, and he immediately feels a bit guilty. He’s sure there’s someone out there who likes Ms Henley, just not, you know, any of the students.

He’s pulled out from his thoughts by the sound of the familiar laughter, and he blushes, embarrassed but secretly pleased at being the one to make Harry laugh, when before he was the one watching from afar.

“You’ve had her before?” curious, Harry leans in towards Louis, unknowingly making the older boy’s heartbeat pick up. “Erm” he clears his throat, “yeah.. I took GCSE art.”

“Hey, me too!” Harry grins and Louis watches the transformation, from really confident and cool to a really adorable and young looking boy. In his mind’s eye he can almost see himself stumbling as he struggles to keep up with the constant changes.

“Yeah, I know, we were in the same class” as soon as the words are out of his mouth, he regrets them, seeing the way Harry’s smiles falters, lips pursing in a frown.

“Oh..how come I didn’t see you?”

Noticing the frustrated tone in Harry’s voice, Louis decides to answer truthfully, “not a lot of people do” he shrugs ashamed, and turning to face the harried looking teacher as she walks in, apologizing for being late and cutting off whatever protest had just started to come out of Harry’s lips.

Once class is finished, they leave the classroom together, walking side by side towards the hall. Their shoulders brush and bump against each other’s as they walk and Louis stares at the ground, wanting to hide his blush from the younger boy.

They both look around at the sound of Harry’s name being called out, eyes falling on a blonde boy standing a few feet away from them and waving his arms over his head to catch Harry’s attention.